[Esoterrorists 2.0] Typos/errors in the pre-release version?

Hi there,

I've noticed a couple of errors in the new pre-order edition of Esoterrorists 2.0. They don't bother me in any way, but I was wondering if Pelgrane is interested in hearing about them? i.e. I'm happy to start a topic to highlight them or pop them in an email.

Again no biggie, just asking.

Binder

Comments

• This is a great idea. Use this post.
  • Suggestion: Page 13. "When your rating in an ability is 0, you can never get information..."
    The word "When" makes this slightly confusing as the previous section has just been talking about Investigative abilities going down to 0 but still being able to use the ability. At first read, it's easy to get confused and think that the above sentence is making an exception. I would suggest replacing "When" with "If", or even better "If you do not have any points in an ability, you can never..." Also, in the previous section you spell out "zero" but now you use the numeral 0. Generally one should keep to the same convention for any given category.

Typo: Page 13. "has an ego forbids you from shining ..." This should be "has an ego THAT forbids you from shining..."

Typo: Page 13. "...Bullshit Detector of 0 might imply that you character is gullible..." This should be YOUR not "you".

Typo (arguable): Page 13. "...or prefer to take people at face value" Should this be PREFERS instead of "prefer"? Probably acceptable either way so a stylistic choice.

I'll send in more as I get the opportunity to read more.

When would be the deadline for submitting typos?
  • Page 14: "...it's only if you want to attempt something requiring a test that you will not succeed." I think "that" is not needed. Thus, it would become; "...it's only if you want to attempt something requiring a test, you will not succeed."

Page 14: "...A zero pool in an ability with a..." You're back to spelling out "zero" whereas just prior to this you used "0". As mentioned above, you have intermixed "zero" and "0". My understanding of the "rules" is that one should use one or the other (spelt out or numeral) and then stick to it. You can use change from one to the other, provided the category you're writing about changes. Thus, you can speak of 0, 1, 2, etc. cultists and then change to one, two, three, etc. characters.

Page 16: "You study celestial objects, including the stars, planets." This should be "You study celestial objects, including the stars AND planets."

Page 17: "Doing so costs 2 Bureaucracy points, which can be spent at any time during any scenario" Not a typo, it's just that I can't fathom this out. Perhaps this explanation needs to be re-worded?

Page 17: "determine a document's approximate age" Has an inappropriate bullet point preceding it.

Page 18: "match typed documents to the typewriters that produced them". Not a typo, just a comment. Since the last mechanical typewriter has stopped being manufactured, isn't this now rather anachronistic? Perhaps one can match the laser printer that was used?

Page 20: "...your authority (whether real or feigned.)" The full stop should come AFTER the bracket.
  • Posted By: StainlessPage 14: "...it's only if you want to attempt something requiring a test that you will not succeed." I think "that" is not needed. Thus, it would become; "...it's only if you want to attempt something requiring a test, you will not succeed."

Page 14: "...A zero pool in an ability with a..." You're back to spelling out "zero" whereas just prior to this you used "0". As mentioned above, you have intermixed "zero" and "0". My understanding of the "rules" is that one should use one or the other (spelt out or numeral) and then stick to it. You can use change from one to the other, provided the category you're writing about changes. Thus, you can speak of 0, 1, 2, etc. cultists and then change to one, two, three, etc. characters.

I have to disagree on striking "that" from the sentence, unless it's reworked to something like, "...but if you want to attempt something requiring a test, you will not succeed."

As for numbering conventions, generally speaking, you're right. There are numerous exceptions (e.g., always spell out a number if it begins a sentence), depending on what style choices are being used. In the two instances mentioned, I think there's enough stylistic difference in the way "zero" is being used to justify it ("zero pool" and "zero ratings" vs. "rating of 0" or "ability is 0").
  • Page 1: Some of the Playtesters' names were repeated at the end of the list, namely: Angus Dingwall, Hugh Dingwall, Ian Bayard, Carla Lapsley, Rory Pollock and Bruno Knewstubb.

Page 95: This is more of a wording nit-pick than typo - "Scaulers are born from rotting meat that's submerged in polluted, oxygen-dead water" - I think "hypoxic" or "anoxic" would read better than "oxygen-dead".
  • Page 67, Laws of Esoterror, second para: "For nearly a decade and a half their power has grown" - scary to think, but it is now two decades since the end of the Cold War.
  • I just downloaded the laid-out version of the PDF today, and I am little disappointed to see that none of the errors noted in this thread have been fixed. Are there any plans to do a final copy-edit before printing?