New to 13th Age, Some Questions.

Hello everyone,

I've been playing D&D from 2nd edition to 3.5 for ages, after abandoning the system for others i have finally found my Holy Grail to 13th age :). buying the Core Book,Bestiary and 13 True ways.

Some basic questions:

1)I can't find in the core book if Critical Hits are also automatic hits and if that is true, what about extended crit range? also automatic hits?
2) I am somewhat confused with Class Features,and Maneuvers. Do i have to spend a feat to buy a class feature,for example the two fighter's class features? what about maneuvers? do i have to buy their A,C,E levels separately spending a appropriate level feat on each?
3)What is the default rounding rule? does it default to D20 rounding always down?

Thank you in advance!!!

Comments

• 1) I'm not 100% sure, but I think, a critical hit is also an automatic hit. If your crit range is extended, every natural result in that range is therefore also an automatic hit.
    2) With a few exceptions (e.g. a Druid's elemental & terrain spells) you don't need to spend feats to gain access to talents (aka class features).
    Feats that are associated with character options must normally be taken in order, i.e. to take the Champion feat you must also have the Adventurer feat. Sometimes, there's an exception, but that's always spelled out.
    3) I don't think it's spelled out anywhere, so I'd use the default d20 rule of rounding down, yes.
  • Welcome to 13th Age! You've made a great choice; I think 13th Age is the best F20 game out there. To answer your questions:

1) There was an FAQ or forum post or G+ post somewhere where this question was asked, and the answer was that yes, any crit is an automatic hit, even with expanded crit range. As a practical matter, unless your crit range is really expanded or you're suffering from a big to-hit penalty, most of the time a crit would be a hit anyway.

Personally, I don't like this ruling. At my table, a 20 is an auto hit and crit. If your crit range is expanded, and you roll in the expanded crit range but would otherwise miss, I turn it into a standard hit instead. Still gives a benefit from having an expanded crit range, but not as big of one. I will again emphasize that this is my opinion, though; the official rule is that any crit is an auto-hit.

2) All members of a class get that class's class features "for free." So every fighter gets an extra recovery and is Threatening, every Wizard gets cantrips and is a ritual caster, etc. For the rest (Talents, Maneuvers, spells for casters, etc), in the first few pages of each class description there's a big chart that shows how the class advances in level, showing things like their hit points, their class-specific cool stuff, and so on. Most classes automatically get 3 talents at first level, and never get more as they level up, so to save space they often leave the talents off of that chart (though there will always be a note about it underneath the chart). But a few classes break the general rule about talents, and so it will list on the chart how many talents they start will, and how many they gain as they level. I think this might be the source of your confusion. You get all class features at level 1, plus 3 talents, plus everything on the chart as you level (sometimes including more talents), all "for free." You use your feats to modify and enhance your other choices. So if you choose the "Cleave" talent as a fighter, it will work as described, but if you want to be extra good at Cleaving, you can spend your feats on it. If you are spending feats on something, you do generally have to take them in order (adventurer, champion, then epic), unless the rules or your GM say otherwise. And remember that you don't get your first Champion feat until 5th level, and your first Epic feat until 8th level.

3) I think somewhere early in the book they do mention a general rule for rounding, and it's either "round down" or "round in PC's favor" (I can't remember which). But it's a minor thing; you won't go wrong if you just pick one option and stick with it.

Hope that answers your questions, and let us know if you have any more.