Bilingual characters and Languages Ability

I have a question regarding the Languages Ability. One of my players wants to play an Armenian-American character (his parents are Armenian, but he bas born in America). It's reasonable to assume that he would at least speak Armenian and English. Also, most armenian people speak Russian too.

My question is: Would all of these languages count as "mother languages", or should the player choose just one, and buy the other ones with Languages?

Thank you!

Comments

• There are no official rules about characters with bilingual backgrounds having 2 or more mother tongues.

I'd argue because he was brought up in America that his exposure to Russian would be minimal ( maybe if he went to a Russian Orthodox church instead of an Armenian one, but then he would only know words to do with mass ) and so to be fluent in Russian he would definitely have to buy it with a build point.

You could let him have Armenian for free ( as it is not very likely to come in useful in any adventure before the character dies or goes permanently insane ).

If other players object because he has got a language for free then let them have one for free as well to make everything equal.

• Thank you. I had this doubt because in all other games (WoD, Call of Cthulhu) they make you buy any languages other than the first, even for characters of multilingual raising (irish, russian-american, etcetera). I think this is the approach I'm finally going to take, as I'm beginning to suspect this player is trying to take profit: he wants to be the son of a bilingual Armenian-Russian man and an iranian woman, and raised in the USA, and wants to have FOUR languages for free: Armenian, English, Russian, and Persian. And I say NO WAY.

Thank you for your answer :).
  • Belgeval said:

I'm beginning to suspect this player is trying to take profit: he wants to be the son of a bilingual Armenian-Russian man and an iranian woman, and raised in the USA, and wants to have FOUR languages for free:

Four!

He is definitely trying to take advantage - I've changed my mind, make him buy anything beyond English.

• One point on Languages gets him the first three. I find it hard to believe that his character concept doesn't have another point of Languages to spare!
  • I suspect, by the way, that even in Ireland there is basically no one who has Gaelic as a "mother tongue"