E-Book reader friendly version

Hello,

I am looking to buy some E-Book reader. For now, it seems (to me) that such devices can't handle in a friendly way PDF format.

Do you plan to sell products formatted for such devices (I suppose with continuous text or 1 column format ...) as E-Pub, or, let say, on any specific online niche market, like those kindle things ... ?

Comments

• We have been looking at this, but it's much more difficult than you might expect. It's easier when you plan to do it from the very start. So, the first release in this format will be either be Night's Black Agents or Eso 2.0

We'll make them available via Kindle and iTunes, and we might bundle them with the PDF releases, too.

I'd like more feedback on this.
  • I've been reading quite a bit on my new tablet, and I have to say that true ebooks are nicer to read than full-monty pdfs. The latter trend to be a bit slow and unresponsive. I'd love an Ebook version of Ashen Stars for example.
  • Definitely would like to see Kindle versions of everything Pelgrane do going forwards!!
  • The biggest problem is that the dedicated ebook formats don't support page references, which are pretty much essential for a reference book, which is what an RPG book really is. Also table support is non-existent to poor, which means tables need to be included as graphics, which then breaks one of the useful features of ebooks, changing the text size for ease of reading.

So whilst ebook versions of RPG books would be nice, there are technical issues that makes producing them a less than simple proposition.

- Neil.
  • edited September 2012
    I was reading through the black nights agent eBook (on a a Cybook Odyssey), and there is one or two things that bothers me.

There was no begining

My first issue is with the menu. I am not sure if it is related to the reader or not, but I think it can be worked around. I want to read the chapter "Stories". So I open the menu "table of contents" and i select "Stories". Well, the menu opens and proposes me to choose between "The Thriller in Play", "The operation", and so on. Ok, then I choose "The Thriller in Play". It proposes me "Rythm and Improvisation". Ooook. Now, it is "AVOIDING THE RAILROAD". I click on it. It is finished. Great ! But wait ... It is not the begining of the "Stories" chapter. I have to flip pages back to find where it is. In my case, my font is so big it means it is around dozens of flips back. So ... Is it possible when a menu as several sub-items to have one of them that points at the begining ?

As I have found on another forum, it is a known issue of the device.

Drowning proof reading

I do not think my second issue can be addressed, but it can by good to have it in mind. I am reading and then I find a reference link that points me to "Example TFFBs". I click on it. Alright, I can read it. Ok, now, I want to resume to where I was when I found the link. Uh ... Where was it again ? I think it is more of a user related issue. Next time, i'll bookmark the page I am reading before clicking on any link I find.

I really need a magnifying glass

There are icons that helps qualify to what playstyle (dust, burn, stakes ...) a chapter relates to. Ok. But I am using a black and white reader and I zoom my text. No luck here : the icons aren't zoomed. So, if the icons could be more recognizable in such condition (maybe in the next books ...) , it would be a plus to my experience.
  • NeilCFord said:

The biggest problem is that the dedicated ebook formats don't support page references, which are pretty much essential for a reference book, which is what an RPG book really is. Also table support is non-existent to poor, which means tables need to be included as graphics, which then breaks one of the useful features of ebooks, changing the text size for ease of reading.

So whilst ebook versions of RPG books would be nice, there are technical issues that makes producing them a less than simple proposition.

- Neil.

I realize that a lot can have happened or changed in about three and a half years, but I want to note that references to specific pages are very much possible in ePub and similar formats such as AZW and Mobi, although it may be a bit tricky in some circunstances.

HTML5 has advanced quite a lot in its support of tables and is well-supported by ePub3, so I assume this is not too much of an issue either.