Daunting Dossier?

I'm starting up a new NBA game and have heard amazing things about the Dracula Dossier but it seems...daunting. I guess my questions are more along the lines of...

Does the director have to read all 800+ pages of Unredacted and the Handbook ahead of time? If I go with the game I'm definitely willing but limited free time would mean putting the game off for a bit.

Do the players need to read Unredacted cover to cover before playing? Can they do it a bit at a time? Are lower levels of the conspiracy included near the beginning or are they hidden throughout?

I guess I'm just wondering if it's worth picking up given limited prep time or if I should just do a homebrew.

In either case looking forward to running NBA again.

Comments

• First of all, know the players deafly don't need to read all of Dracula Unredacted before they start playing. Gareth has written a post on this on the main website that may be worth looking at I would argue that the GM doesn't need to read it either. Depending on how quickly you want your campaign to run you could in fact use the summary in the director's Handbook and read that out to players ( that's not an approach I'd recommend however).

It is perfectly possible to run the campaign using just the directors handbook and any old copy of Dracula, or indeed no book a train just relying on the players popular memories of the films they have seen.. The extra clues in Unredacted are just that - extra clues.

The directors handbook however is worth any GM's money. Even if you were to run the homebrew there are so many brilliant resources characters locations objects clues on story ideas That you will really enjoy using it. It's A brilliant resource for when your players throw you a curve ball.

The challenge might be starting off the campaign. But the Harker intrusion, which I think is available as a free PDF would be the perfect campaign seed and a more structured scenario like you may be used to. The challenge might be starting off the campaign. But the Haka intrusion, which I think is available as a free PDF would be the perfect campaign seed and a more structured scenario like you may be used to.

• In short, you want to be very familiar with the resources in the Director's Handbook but don't need to read Dracula cover to cover. The players don't need to read it, either, and probably shouldn't before the game starts. Think of the Unredacted Dracula as a massive player's handout that you give them during play. The players will read as much or as little as they care to and glean leads (or not) from it in ways you can't really plan for. You should at least flip through Dracula Unredacted a bit and read what catches your eye so you'll have an idea of what your players will be seeing. But the Handbook is cross-indexed out the yin-yang, so you can just read up on whatever the players seem to have latched onto while planning adventures. Also, someone might always just say, "My character spends the weekend reading this thing through. What does she learn?"