Advice on running Ashen Stars in a different setting?

I'm looking at running an Ashen Stars campaign, but using my own setting. It's set only in the solar system, and there are no alien races, no FTL. It's more horror/conspiracy oriented.

What things do you think I'll need to look at tweaking in order to better fit this setting? While they won't be acting as law enforcement, they will be acting as undercover operatives (think something like Delta Green.)

Thoughts?

Comments

• I'm also posting over on the Google+ group, but thought I'd post here as well.

Here is my tweaked skill list...any feedback is welcome. Some are the same but I altered the name for clarity. Lack of aliens strips out quite a few skills.

Academic Abilities
    Accounting (includes Forensic Accounting)
    Archaeology
    Botany
    Criminology (kept from NBA, appropriate to campaign)
    Forensic Psychology
    Geology
    History
    Human Terrain (kept from NBA, ...)
    Law
    Linguistics
    Occult Studies (kept from NBA, ...)
    Research (proven to be useful on its own)
    Zoology

Interpersonal Abilities
    Bullshit Detector
    Bureaucracy
    Cop Talk
    Culture (Corp, Downside, etc.)
    Flattery
    Flirting
    Impersonate
    Inspiration
    Interrogation
    Intimidation
    Negotiation
    Reassurance
    Respect
    Tradecraft (kept from NBA, ...)

Technical Abilities
    Astronomy
    Chemistry
    Cryptography (includes decryption)
    Data Retrieval
    Energy Signatures
    Evidence Collection
    Explosive Devices
    Forensic Engineering
    Forensic Pathology (doesn't need to be anthropology)
    Holo Surveillance
    Imaging
    Industrial Design
    Kinetics
    Notice (too useful not to have)
    Virology

General Abilities
    Athletics
    Battle Console
    Business Affairs
    Digital Intercept (combines comm itcpt/digtl intrus)
    Filch
    Ground Craft
    Health (1)
    Helm Control
    Infiltration
    Medic
    Naval Tactics
    Preparedness
    Public Relations
    Scuffling
    Sense Trouble
    Shooting
    Shuttle Craft
    Surveillance
    Systems Design
    Systems Repair
    Viro Manipulation

• Modifying the skill list is a great start. In no particular order, here are some things I would think about. The Reputation rules (p165) are all about the Lasers treading the line between altruism and making a profit. That may not make sense if you want the agents to be operating in the shadows of conspiracies because Reputation is all about how the public perceives an agent team. Perhaps something like "Heat" from NBA (since you are familiar with it) would work better. Also the technology might need tweaking in terms of naming conventions and sheer existence. I don't care how horrific the setting, when there are things called "Whackers" and "Fairy Duster" and "Bad Liver" and "Breadbox", etc, it's just not meeting a vibe I'd expect. Plus, the existence of non-lethal items and lethal prevention technology (insure shield, p.142) and the game mechanical penalties for using lethal force (switching from non-lethal to lethal costs one shooting point to do it; the reverse is free) makes clear (to me, anyway) that the PCs in the standard setting should be rarely using lethal force. That may not be what you want. I will say, though, that every player's worst fear is having their character incapacitated and captured0-0-non-lethal devices are perfect for that! So what do I know?
    Mel
  • Those are good points. I'd been thinking about Reputation but hadn't decided yet. I like your idea. Making sure the other aspects (tech names) fit the mood also makes sense. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Do you have Mutant City Blues? While it's a superhero setting, the rest of the setting (and gameplay) sounds like it might inform what you need pretty well.

Has there still been a recent war?

Looking outside the company, GURPS Transhuman Space is a solar system-wide setting that ought to be a must read for anyone designing an SF campaign.