Vampires as Playable Characters....

Well to be honest, I'm looking for alternatives for "Vampire: The Masquerade" since I have my own personal reasons why I dislike that game and I was pointed to this game as one example but however this is a few problems I would like to address though, turns out that this game is a "Spy Thriller" and plus and casts Vampires as antagonists which seems to be out of the question but before I make this conclusion up, is it possible to have Vampires as PCs in this game? Or does it have to be completely rewritten? As in taking out the "Spy Thriller" theme and having Vampires playable being similar like Masquerade without the problematic elements.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Well, there is a sidebar in NBA (reluctantly added, perhaps) on playing the "good" vampire.  So it is not out of the question.  There are plenty of neat rules for building vampires, and plenty of rules for vampire weaknesses that NPC vampire hunters could take full advantage of.  So, give it a try!
  • edited March 2016
    Mel_White said:

Well, there is a sidebar in NBA (reluctantly added, perhaps) on playing the "good" vampire.  So it is not out of the question.  There are plenty of neat rules for building vampires, and plenty of rules for vampire weaknesses that NPC vampire hunters could take full advantage of.  So, give it a try!

Well to be honest there is some parts I liked from Masquerade like the disciplines for example, how they 'embrace' (drain all the blood and a single drop of theirs near death) which serves as good population control that prevents creating a "I am Legend" scenario, the pleasurable kiss (except Giovanni/Lamia of course) and their bite is not contagious so they don't have kill their victims when drinking blood (although can do it by choice though especially towards their enemies they fight) not to mention the former point I've described, also their weaknesses being stake in the heart paralyzes them, true faith repells/harms them, takes damage from fire, and of course as for sunlight I could do with Masquerade's "Burn in Sunlight" but instead I would take the Victorian mold that they're nocturnal and sunlight/daylight only weakens their powers and of course I also add that Moonlight actually strengthens/heals them, although the only thing I like from Requiem is their political structure like the covenants.instead of the "two party system" of Masquerade (like the Camarilla/Sabbat) since the latter is entirely structured/built around on part of the biggest reason why I dislike Masquerade's setting...

Of course the biggest problem with Masquerade is it's Abrahamic centric cosmology with the whole "Noddest" mythos with Caine "being the first vampire" not to mention it's entire "Personal Horror" theme with the whole "Beast within" and the Humanity system is directly tied to it's Abrahamic basis with the whole "Resisting the temptation of the Beast" and requiring to live as a expy of a monk or saint if you want to maintain high humanity.

However though I've been looking at this page....:

http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/excerpt-from-nights-black-agents-build-your-own-vampire/

I guess after all, Masquerade and Requiem style Vampires fit under the "Damned" category? Which would make the whole humanity/beast system a whole lot of sense then perhaps?

So basically let me get this straight:

Supernatural Vampires: 

Folkloric/Superstition based Vampires like the Strigori, Draugr, Jiang Shi, etc.

Damned Vampires:

Cainites/Kindred from Masquerade/Requiem, 19th century literally Vampires like Dracula, Carmilla, etc or any progenitor Vampire that was cursed (or 'blessed') by a Deity.

Mutant Vampires:

Blade style Vampires basically, and also the Strain.

Alien Vampires:

I'm not very sure what examples I can use though.

Although maybe I could add another category about people actually self-making themselves into Vampires therefore becoming a "progenitor" themselves if they wish to 'create' more of their kind (or sometimes though they can't create their own since their only necromantic as in they only raise from the grave) since for example I heard there's a Taoist alchemy practice that turns one into a "Ghost Immortal" or "Gui-Xian" which they have to feed on life forces of the living and they cannot leave the realm of ghosts and it's a forbidden practice in Taoism.

Also there's the tale of "Jumlin" which is a Cherokee Vampire legend about a Shaman who summoned a spirit that turned him into a Vampire which I'm not sure if that fits into the "Damned" category but you can read the story here: https://authorlyngibson.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/the-jumlin-a-vampire-legend-from-the-cherokee-nation/

Basically though I'm thinking of a setting where almost every type of Vampire you can think of exists but there's some that are suitable to play (like the Kindred from VtM) while others are more suitable as antagonists (like the Strain, etc).

So what do you think? Basically what I'm really aiming for is a "All Myths are True" or "Fantasy kitchen sink" setting.

• The multitude of possible "vampire" types lends itself to your idea for PC vampires.  Pick one type, such as the folkloric vampire, as the PC(s) and set them against the other mutant, alien, or other vampire types. Which you pretty much conclude as well, I see.   
  • edited March 2016
    Mel_White said:

The multitude of possible "vampire" types lends itself to your idea for PC vampires.  Pick one type, such as the folkloric vampire, as the PC(s) and set them against the other mutant, alien, or other vampire types. Which you pretty much conclude as well, I see.   

Well I do have similar ideas about Supernatural Vampires who make their kind via VtM style embracing or ones that Raise from the Dead (although I would probably the self-made ones super rare though, with the VtM style Vampires being 'common' while the actual Undead risen ones that are common in folklore are only a handful) fighting against the Mutant/Alien Vampires akin to Blade and Strain style Vampires which they're trying to prevent a "I am Legend" scenario from happening (although I'm still not sure about the Alien Vampires) simply because they threaten their food supply knowing how highly contagious they are through their bites (although Mutant style vampirism can be cured by medical/scientific means especially by Near Dark blood transfusions which they're also harmed by UV radiation, EDTA, stakes in the heart/head instantly kill them, etc) unlike supernatural (folklore and damned) vampires.
  • I've got a sneaking suspicion that NBA will not satisfy your non-Abrahamic VtM desires. Have you looked at Katanas and Trench Coats? http://somanykatanas.com
  • I agree with Fredrix.  This game won't be enough for what you're looking for.  The 1st half of the book is devoted to making PC's as Agents.  The last quarter of the book is dedicated to GM on how to make thrilling cities as settings and how to run vampire conspiracies as a spy thriller.  That only leaves a quarter dedicated to making vampires, but it's geared toward the GM so there aren't any build points or anything.  Just a huge list of possible powers and weaknesses.  It's fantastic for keeping PC's on their toes who think they know "thee way" to kill a vampire, but there's not enough to make varied and balanced PC's as vampires.
  • edited April 2016
    Nooch said:

I agree with Fredrix.  This game won't be enough for what you're looking for.  The 1st half of the book is devoted to making PC's as Agents.  The last quarter of the book is dedicated to GM on how to make thrilling cities as settings and how to run vampire conspiracies as a spy thriller.  That only leaves a quarter dedicated to making vampires, but it's geared toward the GM so there aren't any build points or anything.  Just a huge list of possible powers and weaknesses.  It's fantastic for keeping PC's on their toes who think they know "thee way" to kill a vampire, but there's not enough to make varied and balanced PC's as vampires.

Well thing is I was directed towards this game as a 'alternative' to VtM but it seems now you're all telling me that I can't actually play as a Vampire or at least the books doesn't support it since it's originally supposed to about playing as Agents and Vampires are antagonists which is something I don't wish to play.

• I think you could do it, if you wanted, but it's only gonna make sense if your vampires are investigative types of one sort or another.
  • I think NBA probably isn't a good choice as an alternative to V:tM... While there is a sidebar on playing vampires, it begins with the author's opinion that (in this game at least) there are no good vampires. It does give details on what you -could- do if you really wanted to let a player be a vampire, but they're mostly devoted to how to hamstring the character so that it doesn't unbalance everything.

As raggedhalo wrote, NBA is at heart a GUMSHOE-system game, devoted to investigation. If you want vampires who don't spend most of their time looking into mysteries and conspiracies and the like, you'd probably be better off with a different ruleset.

Katanas & Trenchcoats might be fun (I certainly got a kick out of reading the original version, and I'm backing the current Kickstarter), but if you never played White Wolf games in the 90s, a lot of it will go straight over your head. It's an homage, not a replacement.

What's your goal with this game - a group of all-vampire PCs? Do you have a story/campaign mapped out?
  • edited July 2016

I think NBA probably isn't a good choice as an alternative to V:tM... While there is a sidebar on playing vampires, it begins with the author's opinion that (in this game at least) there are no good vampires. It does give details on what you -could- do if you really wanted to let a player be a vampire, but they're mostly devoted to how to hamstring the character so that it doesn't unbalance everything.

As raggedhalo wrote, NBA is at heart a GUMSHOE-system game, devoted to investigation. If you want vampires who don't spend most of their time looking into mysteries and conspiracies and the like, you'd probably be better off with a different ruleset.

Katanas & Trenchcoats might be fun (I certainly got a kick out of reading the original version, and I'm backing the current Kickstarter), but if you never played White Wolf games in the 90s, a lot of it will go straight over your head. It's an homage, not a replacement.

What's your goal with this game - a group of all-vampire PCs? Do you have a story/campaign mapped out?

Well, basically I'm thinking a game where Vampires live their unlives trying to live in the shadows staying off the radar to avoid unwanted attention and plus having opportunities of being Byronic anti-heroes/heroines as well (which the PCs are Friendly Neighborhood Vampires trying to balance the fact they're monsters and their humanity and trying to balance both positive sides that Vampirism benefits like immorality as a way of cheating death, their supernatural powers like changing into bats, wolves, mist, rats, supernatural strength, heightened senses, supernatural speed, magic like blood sorcery, necromancy, shadow manipulation, etc and their Humanity when interacting with humans) and the antagonists are Vampires that are trying to openly rule and enslave humanity and treating them like cattle.

Also other possibilities with Vampire PCs delving into the Occult or secrets advancing their vampirism and also interacting with other supernaturals like Werewolves & other Shapeshifters, Demons, Mages, Ghosts, Faeries, Spirits, and of course other types of Undead, etc.

Basically a standard Urban Fantasy/Horror game that has more accuracy to folklore/myth than the WoD by comparison due to problematic elements of it.
  • Try Urban Shadows, it should work just fine for you if you are not averse to Apocalypse World style mechanics. I love NBA dearly, but as written, it's most decisively not an urban fantasy soap opera.
  • I think you're better off looking for WitchCraft or the Angel RPG, both from Eden Studios, for this particular itch. Night's Black Agents lends itself far more to playing humans.
  • edited July 2016
    Magogue said:

Try Urban Shadows, it should work just fine for you if you are not averse to Apocalypse World style mechanics. I love NBA dearly, but as written, it's most decisively not an urban fantasy soap opera.

Well I've looked into Urban Shadows and turns out I didn't like it at all due to the "Corruption" system which makes you loose your character if you use certain powers.
  • edited July 2016

I think you're better off looking for WitchCraft or the Angel RPG, both from Eden Studios, for this particular itch. Night's Black Agents lends itself far more to playing humans.

Well the Vampires from Witchcraft are based on new agey stuff like sucking essence instead of Blood which is a turn off since I'm looking more of the Sanguine type Vampires and also Angel is based on Joss Whedon's Buffy universe that I wish to have no part of since it's too teen/young adult for me.

Well first of all I remember someone directed me here towards Night's Black Agents being a alternative to Vampire: The Masquerade I guess they overlooked the fact that you can't play as Vampires apparently and I don't want to play as Humans obviously and I guess the game can't be rewritten so I'll might as well pass on that one.

So I guess my options are really running low now when it comes to Urban Fantasy settings that has Vampires as playable characters.

• Could you not just use the Witchcraft rules but say that in order to consume essence they have to drink blood?
  • Considering that WitchCraft vampires have a trait that specifically does that, yes, that would be possible.

There's also the Everlasting (Book of the Unliving), which has blood drinking vampires as one of the main playable types. (Along with breath drinking revenants, flesh-eating ghouls, ghosts, and constructs).
  • Could you not just use the Witchcraft rules but say that in order to consume essence they have to drink blood?

Actually I don't want to have anything to do with essence at all but rather I subscribe the idea that Vampires are undead immortal (or static) corpses that need blood to power their bodies which Witchcraft doesn't support this though.