Initiative

Does anyone else share my difficulties with Initiative? It seems simple, and indeed, it is when the combat is one on one. But what happens when all my agents (six in my recent ZQ) are battling a gang of mooks? With some of my agents using guns, some Melee and another martial arts? What happens when somebody has her gun out, intending to shoot, but when her turn comes round decides it's more sensible to, say, either run away or pistol whip somebody?

Comments

• I have not had that problem exactly, but definitely issues with interrupts and "move bys" and other stuff.  For initiative, I've tended to end up just going in order around the table, but starting at a new point each combat.  I'd like to try something like the method in Marvel Heroic Roleplaying--each character assigns the next character to act.  For simplicity, though, you could decide that a specific skill (Athletics or Health) determines initiative regardless of the character's action.  
    Mel
  • (Just realised I never posted this, impressed that the cookie remembers the draft)
    Mel_White said:

;I'd like to try something like the method in Marvel Heroic Roleplaying--each character assigns the next character to act.

Actually that was the conclusion I was coming to. Though not from MHR, but rather from the Firefly RPG, which shares the same Cortex+ roots. It means we'll lose the "Jump In" thriller combat rule, which I quite liked. Another alternative might be to say initiative = your highest of Shooting, Melee, Athletics etc.

• I believe the rules say that initiative order is determined by whatever skill the character is using when combat starts, but not to change initiative order if they switch weapons later.

I have dropped characters to the bottom of the order for things like getting knocked down very hard or spending theur turn trying to change range increments (moving from Near to Close in order to engage in Hand to Hand, for exampke).