Preview edition typos, errata, and ambiguities

Please use this thread to alert me of any textual issues that may catch your eye in the Hillfolk preview draft. An updated draft is now available to our Kickstarter backers, so please check to see that your issue remains in that version.

Your eagle eyes are much appreciated.

Comments

• Hi Robin. I emailed you recently about the Procedural example on pg. 40 (latest PDF). I see where you updated the cards that Beata has to 8 of Spades and 8 of Clubs. That works to fix the description where the 8 of Clubs matches on color only.

A few paragraphs later Adrian draws the same 8 of Clubs. My guess is that would need to be changed. I know this somewhat mirrors the Advanced Procedural example with card choices, if you're going to edit those as well.

Thanks!
  • Some of these may be repeats...

Page 18
    ride horses, abd sneak well while on a horse.
    ride horses, and sneak well while on a horse.

Page 25
    Tokens left unspent
    Drama Tokens left unspent

Page 32
    One more more supporting
    One or more supporting

Page 33
    When "the crowd acts as granter." does the drama token come from the GM?

Page 39
    This is where the the dramatic and procedural
    This is where the dramatic and procedural

Page 34
    Procedural resolutions also require a deck
    Procedural resolutions require a deck

Page 43
    Adrian plays a green token and can "can call for up to three draws". In the example, he draws 4 times. A Jack, a queen, a king, and finally an eight. When it says "He two draws left", he only has one left.

Page 43
    He two draws left
    He has two draws left

Page 43
    still not enough to beat Edward’s jack.
    still not enough to beat Adrian’s jack.

Page 67
    longer after the anthropological exploration has faded
    longe after the anthropological exploration has faded

Page 72
    but never with us. They say we have
    but never with you. They say you have

Page 72
    Yet they will accept our goods when we have them.
    Yet they will accept your goods when you have them.

Page 72
    How are they Threshers ruled?
    How are the Threshers ruled?

Mitch
  • edited November 2012
    -- item previously identified removed --
  • On Page 10 It says: ‘16. Players apply “How I Do It” ‘
    On the character sheet it says “How I Do It”
    On page 18, the section title is “How You Do It”.

On page 10 it says “Players apply “How I Do It” descriptors to any or all action types.”
    But on page 18 it says “For each of your strong action types”

On page 86 it looks like Adrian still had 2 redraws left when the scene ended.

Page 88 “Action descriptor” is in the index but never used in the body of the text. Should it just be “Descriptor”?
  • edited November 2012
    Page 40
    says Adrian, who is next in the seating order.
    says Adrian, who is next in the precedence order.

The next paragraph also says "Delia sits next to Adrian"
    The paragraph after that has "Edward, last in the seating order"

Wasn't "seating order" for action order from a previous draft. (I see that it is still used in the Single Session Play rules)
  • Page 30
    "The players have drama tokens in the following numbers: Adrian 2, Beata 2, Claude
    0, Darkeye 1, Eager 0, Fated 2".
    "The players have drama tokens in the following numbers: Adrian 2, Beata 2, Claude
    0, Delia 1, Edward 0, Franca 2".

Page 65
    "Who are your toughest local rivals?" is in bold type, but not in boldface italics.

Page 67
    "The town is named for its most famous physical feature. What is it?" needs boldface italics.

Page 71
    "The Rockheads control the land to the west of the Northlands".
    According to the map in page 66, they should control the land to the east!

Page 72
    "Why, according to your ancient stories, are the grainbacks set against you?"
    I'm assuming either grainbacks is how the current Threshers were called in the earlier phases of Hillfolk development or that perhaps the writer thought he had used the word Threshers a bit too much in this segment and came up with a second nickname for these people just to spice things up. Either way I'm not sure this belongs in this thread, but I'm giving a heads up just in case.
  • Starting from the beginning after not looking at it for a few days...

p. 8
    such as the distinction between drama and procedural
    such as the distinction between drama and procedural scenes

p. 10
    2. GM determines precedence.
    2. GM determines precedence, p. 11.

p. 10
    13. Repeat steps 9-11 for each remaining player in precedence.
    13. Repeat steps 10-12 for each remaining player in precedence.

p. 10
    14. Repeat steps 9-11 until all characters are named as objects
    14. Repeat steps 9-12 until all characters are named as objects

Mitch
  • p.15
    her final scenes would definitively establish one of the identities as the definitive, conclusive one.
    her final scenes would decisively establish one of the identities as the definitive, conclusive one.

p.15
    Rick Blaine (Casablanca) selfishness or altruism?
    Rick Blaine: (Casablanca) selfishness or altruism?

P.15
    Nora (A Doll’s House) subservience or selfhood?
    Nora: (A Doll’s House) subservience or selfhood?

p.18
    The type name should be one or two words long.
    Note: There is no “two word” action types listed. An example of one or two might help

P.18
    describing your specialty / employing your distinctive talent / or dull action descriptor.
    Note: ‘specialty’, ‘distinctive talent’ and ‘action descriptor ‘seem like three separate game terms but are the same thing.

p.20
    Each session of Hillfolk presents an episode
    Note: ‘session’ and ‘episode’ are used interchangeably and that gets a little confusing.

p.23
    Rushing a Scene
    Question: Can you ‘Rushing a Scene’ at any time during the scene or only during the ‘calling’ of the scene?

p.26
    Supporting or Blocking a Force
    Question: If someone supports your force by giving you 2 drama tokens and the granter cancels the force by giving you 3 drama tokens… do you have 5 now or do you give the 2 back to the player who supported you leaving you with 3?

p.28
    Delia: (as Darkeye, except where noted): Have you a moment to speak?
    Delia: (as Darkeye, except where noted) Have you a moment to speak?

Mitch
  • p.35
    story possibilities, assigns the least
    story possibilities, assign the least

p.36
    introduce an advantage your character can take advantage of in an upcoming scene.
    introduce an advantage your character can use to his benefit in an upcoming scene.
  • Mitch -- thanks for your yeoman errata-slaying efforts. These deserve mention in the credits, so I'll need your full name.
  • Mitch A. Williams

Thanks.
  • p.33
    later move on to the more versatile advanced resolution system (see Appendix).
    later move on to the more versatile advanced procedural system (see Appendix).

p.39
    you spend drama tokens to get others to spend procedural tokens on your behalf.
    Question: How do you do this? The rules allow you to spend one to rush a scene or block a rush.

p.39
    graduate to the Advanced Procedural
    graduate to the Advanced Procedural System (see Appendix)

p.41
    DramaSystem favors on dramatic scenes over procedural ones.
    DramaSystem favors dramatic scenes over procedural ones.

p.42
    introduce an advantage their characters can take advantage of in an upcoming scene.
    introduce an advantage their characters can use to his benefit of in an upcoming scene.

p.42
    Players who at any time drew a face card and spent a red token introduce an additional
    obstacle their characters must resolve in an upcoming scene.

Note: Here it appears to say that the player assigns the obstacle for his own character but at the end of the page it says “Consequences are handed out by the winning original contestant, regardless of whose token paid for the final card drawn.”

Question: Are ‘advantage’ and ‘obstacle’ types of Consequences? It appears so but is not clear.
  • p.50
    main characters lose their immunity.
    Note: It has not been established in the rules that they have immunity.
  • P.34
    requiring players to officially dodge or rush the scene.
    requiring players to officially duck or rush the scene.

p.79
    Players may at this stage attempt to dodge or rush the scene.
    Players may at this stage attempt to duck or rush the scene.
  • Apologies for not having been able to get in on this sooner (but Mitch is doing a bang-up job anyway).

I just wanted to mention that the captialization throughout the contents pages is a bit inconsistent. For example:

Going To Procedural....24 (perhaps okay using the 3 word title 'rule' but this isn't always used in these contents)
    The Right to Describe...24

It's happening notably with prepositions. I won't go through and list what I would correct (unless asked to) as I'm sure many could debate what is actually correct. But I would recommend going through and ensuring it's consistent throughout. Let me know if you'd like suggestions.

The page numbers for sections also need to be checked and updated. They seem fine until page 66 when the map is inserted. Also don't forget to remove the note about inserting the map from page 65. This of course will be a last minute kind of thing I'm sure so you can ignore me for now. ;-)

Also while not typos as such, I'd like to see the Character Creation Summary on page 10 using full sentences with correct grammar (notably articles). I'm sure it could be done and still kept to the one page.

You may also wish to decide on a style for the consistent use of gender terms. Pages 10-11 contain "his/her", "his or her" and "his". Part of this I suspect is coming from the summary style of page 10. At the very least I would change the "his" in step 15 to his/her for consistency. Personally I'm a fan of they/their to avoid assigning imagnary gender. The female gender for GM and male gender for player roles that many RPGs use is also a good option.

Finally on page 7 I'd like to see:
    "In a DramaSystem game, players, aided by a Game Moderator (GM), collectively create..." and thereafter just use GM. As it stands pages 7 to 9 use GM quite a bit before introducing the Game Moderator term on page 10.

Let me know if you'd like a written up suggestion for Contents errors. Otherwise I'll try and make time soon to see if there is anything Mitch didn't catch - which seems unlikely :-)

Craig
  • edited December 2012
    p. 16/17:
    Five examples are given of what you might seek from others on p. 16, but on p. 17 only four examples are given in reply. The desire 'to be punished by the ex-lover you betrayed' seems to be the one missing a response.

p. 18: How you Do It
    Tells players to add descriptors to their Strong action types only, whereas the summary on p. 10 says players may do this for 'any and all'. I'd suggest the Strong action types are required and all others are optional, with the specialties in weak types being the reasons you're not very good at them. E.g. Weak Sneaking could have 'clumsy oaf'.

Secondly, this section states that when a character's descriptor comes into play, they gain an advantage of some sort. This doesn't appear to be elaborated on afterwards - only Strong action types grant bonuses.
    If descriptors do grant mechanical bonuses, what about Weak descriptors? Perhaps the GM or an opposing player can call on them for their benefit rather than the PC's.
  • On p. 36, under "knocking out cards", priority 1 is "cards with the same number". On p. 37, in the table under "Narrating ups and downs", the top match is "Value".
    I would propose standardizing these (and any other references) as "rank".
  • Page 23, Dialogue callout: should be "When have I ever let you down?"
    Page 32, Soft Opens, last paragraph: should be "over-relying" not "over--relying"
    Page 50, The End, second paragraph: should be "protagonist deaths"
    Page 62, Decoupling: just a reading comprehension issue - the "its" seemed unclear. The section could do with more specific pronouns.
  • The Table of Contents is just a temporary measure, auto-generated in OpenOffice.
  • On the one hand, this text is pretty clear: "Repeat steps 9-11 until all characters are named as objects of at least two other characters’ wants. (Any unaddressed relationships are defined during play.)"

On the other hand, from reading these boards, I think it is an easy and incorrect assumption to jump to (and I know because I did it) that every player needs a dramatic want from every other character. Especially for know-it-all GMs who think they've read so many RPGs that once they get the gist they can speed-read.

This not so much an errata, as a suggestion that a bit more language on the subject could be helpful to new Hillfolk GMs who have to manage a very unfamiliar process amid the pressure of a table full of players with doubts about any new game.

I own that this error is entirely my own fault, but ideally it could still be prevented for others. A sidebar or something with a bit more explanation of WHY it is not necessary for every Main Character to want something from every other Main Character would definitely do the trick. But that's just my two cents.
  • My comments are apparently way too long to post. Should I break it up into parts, or is there somewhere else you'd like me to send a long post?
  • Posted By: Lisa PadolMy comments are apparently way too long to post. Should I break it up into parts, or is there somewhere else you'd like me to send a long post?
    Email beth@pelgranepress.com
  • Relationship Map

P 17 under What Do You Want From Others : the graphic is hard to make out
  • Hillfolks kickstarter PDF p48 : footnote #13 has the same text as footnote #12
  • All posts after this comment relate to the final PDF version.

Typo in Hillfolk sample relationship chart misspells "protege" (between Franca and Delia)

Footnote 13 (on the page about bennies) is missing; instead being a copy of footnote 12.

Incomplete paragraph on page about evolving characterisation: sentence ends "... and create a new one, using the method outlined for adding"
  • As reported by Kevin Maroney: Ed Greenwood's name in the Hillfolk table of contents (page 5) is not in the same font as the other contributors' names.

Cliff Huystwate reports: First Contact male and female names are reversed.

Richard Iorio II reports: Blood on the Snow table of contents: Dolphin should be credited to Richard Iorio II, not CA Suleiman
  • The dropped words from the incomplete paragraph are: "new players, below."
  • Michael Thompson reports:

[HILLFOLK] "Borrow other comic book-style villain names from “Henchmen” (p. XX)."

Should be p. 144 (where the Henchmen names are)
  • Michael Thompson also reports:

I found another one in Blood on the Snow on p. 171

"(Step 5 of the Step by Step guide on page XX of Hillfolk),"

[Should be p. 8 of Hillfolk.]
  • From Hillfolk table of contents:

What You Want 16
    From Others 16

Should be one entry.