How To Perform A Double-Tap?

A double-tap is described (in Wikipedia at least) as "a shooting technique where two shots are fired in rapid succession at the same target with the same sight picture".  It goes on to say that "instruction and practice of the double-tap improves overall accuracy" too.

But how best to model it for pistols?

The book "Double Tap" just describes it as a Shooting technique without going in to any more detail.  I would imagine it could be done in one of three ways:
  • Narratively, when high damage is rolled.
  • As an Extra Attack using Shooting.
  • Using an extension of the Autofire rules, limited to pistols and just one extra shot.
The second seems costly (but then maybe it should be?) while the third seems too easy (more damage with no extra rolling whenever you like!).

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or play experiences that could shed some light on this topic?

Comments

• I think any of those ideas would work.  My preference would be to use the Extra Attack rules if the player wants the character to actually fire twice.  I'd also allow the player to narratively use Double Tap as a "Technothriller Monologue", gaining a 3-point refresh--but still only with the single die roll and damage...or maybe I'd let the player use the new points immediately to fire again--in effect, using Double Tap as a special form of Jumping In that allows a second "free" attack (paid for with the technothriller monologue refresh).  Most of the text in the skills section of the Double Tap accessory seem to be just flavor--there are not a lot of rules mechanics.  So your interpretation is as good as anyone's.
    Mel
  • You could have it available as an extra damage Cherry for Shooting.
  • A double-tap is described (in Wikipedia at least) as "a shooting technique where two shots are fired in rapid succession at the same target with the same sight picture".  It goes on to say that "instruction and practice of the double-tap improves overall accuracy" too.

But how best to model it for pistols?

The book "Double Tap" just describes it as a Shooting technique without going in to any more detail.  I would imagine it could be done in one of three ways:

• Narratively, when high damage is rolled.
    • As an Extra Attack using Shooting.
    • Using an extension of the Autofire rules, limited to pistols and just one extra shot.
    The second seems costly (but then maybe it should be?) while the third seems too easy (more damage with no extra rolling whenever you like!).

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or play experiences that could shed some light on this topic?

For me, I would use it as flavor text when using MOS. However, if you're talking about how to implement into the game's mechanics, I would agree with you and make it a specific "autofire" spend for pistols only. I might even consider lessening the spend amounts. 
  • I think if I did it like autofire I would probably say it was 2 points of Shooting instead of three, for one extra hit.

Alternatively, a critical hit could be a double tap via flavour text - roll a six and beat the HT by 5 and you roll two dice of damage.