Starting up Dracula Dossier?

I am soon starting up the Dracula Dossier campaign. If you are doing the same, it would be nice the hear what kind of preparations you are doing. How do you intend to start the campaign?

In short, I have gone through both main books and, in the Directors Handbook, chosen my main version of each entry (this can of course change once we start playing). I have also been digging into the history of Romania, Transylvania, Wallachia and the chosen version of the historic Dracula. The last thing I have done is to get the Unredacted Dracula printed and put in a briefcase to have as a handout for the players. On top of that, I have made cards for most of the characters in the Directors Handbook (as I can't wait for the official ones from Pelgrane Press). 

At the moment I am pondering how to start the campaign. I want to get a look at the Harker Intrusion before creating my own introduction. 

What preparations have you done and how will you start the campaign?

Cheers! 

Comments

• That's awesome, Rickard. I'm not sure how I'm going to be running it. I'm not sure I could dive into an entirely improvisational campaign yet. I'm going to start experimenting with it in my other campaigns and see how it goes. Right now I'm just reading through Dracula Unredacted to see what the players have to work with and see what ideas pop into my head.
  • I'm starting but running the Zalozhniy crossover  My players want a science base Vamp, so I'm using a Telluric build for Quincy Morris, their first vamp encounter (under the workname Simon Thonradel). Not doing much in the way of pre-reading - I find Gar and Ken make me sound like I've done loads already. For example one of players is Music professor who thought I'd made Der Vampyre up until he looked it up. Neither propmaking, I'm not printing the Dossier out after I made arash last minute decision to get TWO version, including the facsimile one, from the KS.

But I have today just made a photo prop: the Tin of Seward Serum that Kim Philby left in that back safe deposit box - which my players are about to steal.

• Oh man, I want that tin!
  • As one of the poor fools who didn't invest in the Kickstarter, I'm still waiting for the books to become available to the great unwashed masses. In the meantime, I'll be starting the players on the Zalozhniy Quartet, mixing in a bit of the KWAS on Lilith, so that at the end of ZQ the players will discover they're pawns in an epic vampire battle between Lilith and Dracula, with DD as the prize for defeating Lilith's quest for the Rubedo.
  • Already running the Quartet as a high powered Gurps game will segway into this.
  • The real question is where did you get that done and how much did it cost it is probably the best handout I've ever see.
  • It is an epic handout indeed.

Sadly, it illustrates why I won't be able to run a proper Dracula Dossier game (no one who'd play in it would have time to examine the unredacted Dracula in detail).  So I'll have to come up with a different way to introduce their early leads (but I'll be keeping Hopkins) - Harker Intrusion and Zalozhniy Quartet to the rescue!
  • Sadly, it illustrates why I won't be able to run a proper Dracula Dossier game (no one who'd play in it would have time to examine the unredacted Dracula in detail).  So I'll have to come up with a different way to introduce their early leads (but I'll be keeping Hopkins) - Harker Intrusion and Zalozhniy Quartet to the rescue!

This is what I've been pondering too. Dracula Unredacted is a great idea, but I can't imagine my players are going to want to read through it before we start playing.
  • The players don't need to examine the handout in detail - any lead will do. :) It's possibly to play through the campaign without ever referring back to the Dossier. That said, once the players realise the benefits of doing the reading, they may run back to the book. I know of one campaign where the players said they didn't want to do any homework before the game began; by session three they were all poring over the pdf. 
  • On second thoughts... I think what I'm going to do is make a smaller dossier of clues, based on some of the annotations and handouts from the Hawkins Papers, and have that be what they get from Hopkins.  (She's not carrying everything all the time, and that's what she has to send when she feels the heat on her).

The full Unredacted Dracula will be something they can find when they look into Hopkins herself - it'll have other leads in it (I won't use all the annotations in the initial set).  So a reward for later rather than an intial hook.