Number of Recovery: Shouldn't it be fewer?

I have been playing 13th Age as a GM for a while through online on Roll20.net. Since combat mechanic runs slower on text-based play and our team does not especially like hack & slash game, I had some trouble while adjusting the PC's resources to match the game's pace.
However, I have noticed that even though I now run approximately four encounters before my PCs can fully rest (we rest every two sessions or three), PCs always left a large amount of Recoveries. I even took some recoveries after a PC failed on some skill check, but there is still more.
I fear that surplus of recoveries make the players insensitive to resource management. If they don't care for saving recoveries, then there is no reason to count recoveries at all.
I am thinking of reducing the number of recovery to 4 or 5 and see what happens.
I am curious about what you guys think of this and whether I was the only one who think 8 recoveries are too many.

Thank you and I will wait for your replies.

Comments

• You just have to make battles tougher. By the math of the game battles are very easy for a regular group.
  • I really like the 10-session campaign option, and the according drop in number of recoveries. Makes people think more, and makes feats/talents that give you more recoveries a lot more tempting.
  • edited July 2015

You just have to make battles tougher. By the math of the game battles are very easy for a regular group.

I would like to use that option, but if make the enemies tougher they shred the PCs with high damage that does not even allow the PCs recover their lost hp. On the other side, if I send more enemies, like in multiple wave form, then every battle becomes too long and tedious for our team's taste. 

If you have other suggestion I could not think of, I would be glad to hear it.

I really like the 10-session campaign option, and the according drop in number of recoveries. Makes people think more, and makes feats/talents that give you more recoveries a lot more tempting.

That's three recoveries and two tough battle per session, right? As I wrote above, I fear that an encounter with double-strength would shred the PCs or tire them with long battle. 

P.S. Regarding long battle, I wish to make an encounter last around 3~4 rounds, since players are getting bored of the situation (battle with someone important in plot) after then. 

If you have ideas to make a battle 
    1) compact and short, 
    2) let PCs respond and plan, not overwhelmed by the stats,
    3) but most importantly, consume PCs' resources more rapidly, 
    then please let me know how. I have been troubled by this matter too long.
  • Well I have been having the problem of a high damage team. no-one has a character that can tank, heal, buff or rebuff, etc. my group constantly destroy fights before the escalation die reachs 2. after 4 fights the grpip has an average of 4 or 5 recoveries per player so I have had to increase the tension in fights by using more wreckers. I will also begin to use environmental effects such as traps or stones that can give attackers extra damage(that can be used by either side).