Age of Worms Adventure Path - conversion

edited December 2013 in 13th Age
I've decided to "test" 13th age by playing the Age of Worms campaign (from Dungeon magazines)

Here is my conversion of the monsters / traps. It is still a work in progress, but I'd like to receive some comments/suggestions by all of you.

Please take note I have still NOT played 13th age, so there may be a few (many?) mistakes.

Here goes!

HERE is our blog.

1. The Whispering Cairn
2. The Three Faces of Evil
3. Encounter at Blackwall Keep
4. The Hall of Harsh Reflections
5. The Champion's Belt
6. A Gathering of Winds
7. The Spire of Long Shadows
8. The Prince of Redhand

Comments

• Dungeon 124 – The Whispering Cairn
    Start: Level 1 // End: Level 2
    Conversion for 4 PCs

• Part One: A Face in Darkness

Pg 22. Room 4

Wolf (4) HP 28 each
    1st level troop
    Initiative: +4
    Bite +5 vs AC – 5 damage
    Pack attack: this creature gains a +2 bonus to attack and damage for each other ally engaged with the target (max +4 bonus).
    AC 17, PD 15, MD 11

Pg 24. Room 7 - Sarcophagus

Sarcophagus Fire Trap
    DC 15 to notice, +5 vs PD (creature opening the sarcophagus), dmg 2d6 fire.

Pg 26. Room 7 - Elevator

Mad Slasher (1) HP 45
    A horrible aberration with six sharp legs sprouting from a central body that is little more than a disgusting eye.
    3rd level troop
    Initiative: +3
    Claws +8 vs AC (2 attacks) - 5 damage each
    Whirlwind Attack: when engaged by two or more enemies, make a single attack against each enemy.
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13

Acid Beetle (10) HP 7
    1st level mook
    Bite +6 vs AC – 4 damage
    Natural 16+ : add 1d3 acid damage
    Wall-crawler: can climb on ceilings and walls as easily as it moves on the ground.
    AC 17, PD 15, MD 11
    False Elevator Trap
    DC 15 to notice, always hits (creature inside the elevator), dmg 2d6.

Pg 27. Room 8

The Face in Darkness, Trap
    Hypnotic eyes: DC 20 to notice, +10 vs MD (everyone in the corridor), stunned (save 11+ ends)
    Wind blast: DC 20 to notice, +10 vs PD (everyone in the corridor), pushed away (may fall).

Pg 28. Room 9

Slab Trap
    DC 15 to notice, +5 vs PD (everyone in the room), 5 ongoing poison damge (save 11+ ends)

Pg 28. Room 10

Lurking Strangler (1) HP 45
    A 3-foot-long strand of striated muscle connected to two floating eyeballs.
    3rd level spoiler
    Fear Ray +8 vs MD - The target is weakened until the end of its next turn.
    Sleep Ray +8 vs MD – target falls unconscious (save 11+ ends).
    Suffocate +8 vs AC, 10 damage.
    Flight
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13
    Pg 29. Room 11

Brown Mold (Trap)
    DC 15 to notice, always hits (everyone within 5 feet), dmg 1d10 cold. Fire makes it double in size, cold destroys it.

Pg 30. Room 13

Small Earth Elemental (1) HP 45
    3rd level troop
    Initiative: +0
    Slam +8 vs AC – 10 damage
    Natural 16+: target is stunned (save 11+ ends)
    Burrow
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13

Pg 31. Room 16

Giant Bombardier Beetle (1) HP 45
    3rd level troop
    Bite +8 vs AC - Dmg 10
    When escalation die is even - Acid Spray +8 vs PD (1d3 nearby targets) – dmg 5 ongoing acid damage
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13

Acid Beetle (10) HP 7
    1st level mook
    Bite +6 vs AC – 4 damage
    Natural 16+ : add 1d3 acid damage
    Wall-crawler: can climb on ceilings and walls as easily as it moves on the ground.
    AC 17, PD 15, MD 11
    Pg 31. Room 17

Giant Bombardier Beetle (1) HP 45
    3rd level troop
    Bite +8 vs AC - Dmg 10
    When escalation die is even - Acid Spray +8 vs PD (1d3 nearby targets) – dmg 5 ongoing acid damage
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13

The Guardian of the Veil (1) HP 45
    3rd level troop
    Slam +8 vs AC - Dmg 10
    Resist physical 16+
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13

Pg 32. Room 19

Insane Small Water Elemental (1) HP 45
    3rd level troop
    Slam +8 vs AC - Dmg 10
    Natural 16+ (Vortex): +8 vs PD (1d3 nearby) – 10 dmg
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13

Pg 32. Room 21

Ulavant, Ghoul (1) HP 36
    3rd level spoiler
    Initiative: +8
    Vulnerabily: holy
    Claws and bite +8 vs AC – 8 damage.
    Natural even hit: the target is vulnerable (attacks vs it have crit range expanded by 2) to attacks by undead until the end of the ghoul’s next turn.
    Pound of Flesh: the ghoul’s claws and bit attack deals +4 damage against vulnerable targets.
    Infected bite: any creature that is slain by a ghoul and not consumed will rise as a ghoul the next night.
  • • Part Two: The True Tomb

Pg 34. Room 23

Alastor Land, Ghost (1) HP 66
    5th level spoiler
    Initiative: +10
    Vulnerable: holy
    Ghostly claws +10 vs PD – 14 negative energy damage.
    Natural 16+: the target is also weakened (save ends).
    C: Spiraling assault +10 vs PD (1d3 nearby enemies) – 10 negative energy damage, and after the attack Alastor teleports to and engages with one target hit.
    Limited use: can only use spiraling assault when the escalation die is even.
    AC 19, PD 14, MD 17

Pg 35. Room 24

Wind Warrior (2) HP 72
    An ancient suit of ceramic armor stands gracefully at attention, twin long-swords gripped in its hands. Closer inspection reveals that the armor is empty, held together by hundreds of tiny gusts of vapor and wind.
    5th level troop
    Initiative: +5
    Swords +10 vs AC (2 attacks) – 10 damage
    C: Sonic Blast +10 vs PD (1d3 nearby creatures) – 10 damage. Miss: half damage.
    Limited use: can only be used when the escalation die is even.
    Flight
    AC 21, PD 19, MD 15

• Part Three: Tomb Stories

Pg 36. The Land Farmstead

Owlbear (1) – HP 101 (currently 50)
    Large 4th level wrecker
    Rip and peck +9 vs. AC—15 damage, and until the end of the owlbear’s next turn, the target is hampered (makes only basic attacks) while engaged with the owlbear
Vicious hybrid: If the escalation die is even, make another rip and peck attack.
    Feed the cubs: An owlbear that scores a critical hit against a hampered enemy tears a piece of the creature off (GM chooses a limb) and will subsequently attempt to retreat with the prize to feed its cubs. The torn-up enemy is stunned until the end of its next turn.
    Silent hunter: Owlbears are nearly silent until they strike. Checks to hear them approaching take a –5 penalty.
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13
  • edited December 2013
    I don't have the adventure in question so this will be limited to the things posted here...

Traps in general: Taking a bunch of damage out of the blue isn't interesting. Deciding what to do about a problem is (at least potentially). Ditch the "DCs to notice" and either rework dealing with the trap to be the interesting part or drop them entirely if they don't otherwise serve a dramatic purpose.

Wolf: Standard to the book, but keep in mind that wolves can probably be dealt with in various noncombat ways, particularly if some of the PCs have relevant backgrounds or powers.

Mad Slasher: As written it isn't clear whether Whirlwind Attack is supposed to be a conditional standard action or a triggered ability. It's probably the former.

Strangler and Earth Elemental: These don't seem likely to work very well as single creatures. I realize that the adventure path is using 3E-era design where one creature is usually an encounter in itself, but in this case it's probably better to compress the strangler, elemental, and mold areas into a single one, but that's more likely to produce an interesting dynamic (especially since the mold becomes a hazard for the bad guys as much as for the PCs, and both sides can potentially make use of that).

Guardian of the Veil: Resist physical 16+ is punitive to a lot of characters for no good reason. Either drop this to something like Resist physical 12+ (so it only affects the occasional attack) or remove it entirely.

Small Water Elemental and Ulavant: Same problem as with the Strangler and Earth Elemental.

Alastor and Wind Walkers: As above. Moreover, putting 5th level enemies in a 1st level adventure is akin to dropping level 10 creatures into a level 1 adventure in 3E. Put these guys together as lower level versions.

Owlbear: Pushing high level with a large, though at least as a large it can sort of work as a single creature. However, tearing off limbs is not in keeping with the spirit of the game. It's okay if the thing tears someone up badly enough to stun them for a round, but this should not result in actual limb loss.

On the whole I get the feeling that the adventure's overall structure needs some reworking since there are different underlying assumptions about the nature of encounters (not only the number of creatures but the dramatic appropriateness of the same), the philosophy of traps, and so on, even leaving aside the mechanics issues. That's not to say that you can't keep the general idea, but a smaller number of more meaningful encounter areas (whether or not they involve combat) is probably a better design than a chain of single creature rooms and random trap damage.
  • just a quick comment about the Owlbear ability to rip off limbs: that's a copy/paste from the 13th Age rulebook... -_-

I'll digest your comments and come back on them later, but thanks already for the input, it is really what I need!
  • • Part Four: The Feral Dog

Pg 39. Balabar Smenk’s Gang

Kullen (1) HP 36
    2nd level wrecker
    Initiative: +1
    Greataxe +7 vs AC – 8 damage
    Natural odd miss: Kullen heals 5 hp
    Natural even miss: 4 damage
    AC 18, PD 16, MD 12

Rastophan (1) HP 27
    1st level troop
    Swords (2 attacks) +6 vs AC – 3 damage each
    Natural odd hit: target take +1d4 damage
    AC 17, PD 15, MD 11

Todrik (1) HP 27
    1st level troop
    Guisarme +6 vs AC – 5 damage
    Miss: 1 damage
    AC 17, PD 15, MD 11

Merovinn (1) HP 27
    1st level caster
    Initiative: +6
    Dagger +6 vs AC – 5 damage
    R: Color Spray +6 vs MD (1d4 nearby enemies in a group) – 5 damage, and if the target has 10 hp or fewer after the damage, it is weakened until the end of Merovinn’s next turn.
    AC 17, PD 11, MD 15
  • edited December 2013
    Posted By: Neutronium Dragon
    Traps in general: Taking a bunch of damage out of the blue isn't interesting. Deciding what to do about a problem is (at least potentially). Ditch the "DCs to notice" and either rework dealing with the trap to be the interesting part or drop them entirely if they don't otherwise serve a dramatic purpose.
    These would “look” different while you run the adventure. There’s a detailed description of how to bypass most of the traps, my conversion is just for those details where in the original material there are numbers to crunch. DC / attack bonus / damage are taken straight from the 13th age Rulebook.
    Wolf: Standard to the book, but keep in mind that wolves can probably be dealt with in various noncombat ways, particularly if some of the PCs have relevant backgrounds or powers.
    I’m completely fine with it, it would have been the same in 3.5 (with a Ranger or Druid in the party).
    Mad Slasher: As written it isn't clear whether Whirlwind Attack is supposed to be a conditional standard action or a triggered ability. It's probably the former.
    What about this:
    Mad Slasher (1) HP 45

A horrible aberration with six sharp legs sprouting from a central body that is little more than a disgusting eye.

3rd level troop

Claws +8 vs AC (2 attacks) - 5 damage each

C: Whirlwind Attack +8 vs PD (all enemies engaged with the slasher) – 5 damage

AC 19, PD 17, MD 13
    Strangler and Earth Elemental: These don't seem likely to work very well as single creatures. I realize that the adventure path is using 3E-era design where one creature is usually an encounter in itself, but in this case it's probably better to compress the strangler, elemental, and mold areas into a single one, but that's more likely to produce an interesting dynamic (especially since the mold becomes a hazard for the bad guys as much as for the PCs, and both sides can potentially make use of that).
    Wouldn’t a 3rd level troop count as 2 creatures for a level 1 party? Table on page 203 of the 13A Rulebook. But I like the idea of having the Strangler in the same fight with the Earth Elemental, than it would make an equivalent of 4 creatures.
    Guardian of the Veil: Resist physical 16+ is punitive to a lot of characters for no good reason. Either drop this to something like Resist physical 12+ (so it only affects the occasional attack) or remove it entirely.
    This is an animated statue with some damage resistance in 3.5. I think I took the 16+ from some golem in the 13A rulebook. I’ll lower it to 12+.
    Small Water Elemental and Ulavant: Same problem as with the Strangler and Earth Elemental.
    I guess I can also put these tow in the same encounter.
    Alastor and Wind Walkers: As above. Moreover, putting 5th level enemies in a 1st level adventure is akin to dropping level 10 creatures into a level 1 adventure in 3E. Put these guys together as lower level versions.
    Alastor is a bit supposed to be unbeatable, and (hopefully) not a fight. So for simplicity’s sake I just copy/pasted the Wraith from the 13A rulebook.
    I’ll lower the Wind Warriors to level 3, then they should be the equivalent of 4 creatures for a 1st level party.
    Owlbear: Pushing high level with a large, though at least as a large it can sort of work as a single creature. However, tearing off limbs is not in keeping with the spirit of the game. It's okay if the thing tears someone up badly enough to stun them for a round, but this should not result in actual limb loss.
    Eh, this is straight from the 13A rulebook… Though notice that the Owlbear is wounded, so if they take him from a distance, it shouldn’t be too problematic.
  • edited December 2013
    On the whole I get the feeling that the adventure's overall structure needs some reworking since there are different underlying assumptions about the nature of encounters (not only the number of creatures but the dramatic appropriateness of the same), the philosophy of traps, and so on, even leaving aside the mechanics issues. That's not to say that you can't keep the general idea, but a smaller number of more meaningful encounter areas (whether or not they involve combat) is probably a better design than a chain of single creature rooms and random trap damage.
    I’m willing to “re-organize” a few things, but the idea behind using the Adventure Path is to have to make as less prep as possible. I’ve already taken a heavy burden on myself by deciding to make this conversion, so I’m not too keen on making too many changes.

Once again, thanks for the input, and keep it coming!
  • Part Five: The Old Observatory

Pg 41. Room 1

Tomb Mote (1) HP 36
    2nd level spoiler (undead)
    Initiative: +7
    Bite +7 vs AC – 5 ongoing negative energy damage (save 11+ ends)
    Quickness: can take an extra action every round.
    AC 18, PD 14, MD 14

Pg 42. Room 2

Skeleton Archer (4) HP 26
    1st level archer
    Vulnerability: holy
    Jabby bones +5 vs AC – 4 damage
    R: Shortbow +7 vs AC – 6 damage
    AC 16, PD 14, MD 11

Pg 43. Room 5

Zombie Shuffler (10) HP 10
    1st level mook
    Rotting fist +5 vs AC – 3 damage
    Natural 16+: both the zombie and its target take 1d4 damage!
    Headshot: a critical hit against a zombie shuffler deals triple damage instead of the normal double damage for a crit.
    AC 14, PD 12, MD 8

Pg 45. Room 11

Filge (1) HP 36
    2nd level caster
    Initiative: +2
    Dagger +7 vs AC – 7 damage
    C: Ghoul Touch +7 vs PD (one engaged enemy) – 7 damage, and the target is vulnerable (attacks vs it have crit range expanded by 2) to attacks until the end of Filge’s next turn.
    R: Ray of Frost +7 vs PD (one nearby enemy) – 12 damage (6 on a miss)
    AC 18, PD 12, MD 16

Zombie Shuffler (4) HP 10
    1st level mook
    Rotting fist +5 vs AC – 3 damage
    Natural 16+: both the zombie and its target take 1d4 damage!
    Headshot: a critical hit against a zombie shuffler deals triple damage instead of the normal double damage for a crit.
    AC 14, PD 12, MD 8

Skeleton Warrior, Gertia Land (1) HP 26
    2nd level troop (undead)
    Scimitar +8 vs AC – 6 damage
    AC 16, PD 14, MD 11
  • edited December 2013
    Total Treasure: 1,600 gp divided as follows

800 gp in cash and jewelry
    5x Healing Potion (Adventurer) – 50 gp each
    2x Resistance Potion (Adventurer) – 100 gp each
    2x Oil (adventurer) – 100 gp each
    1x Rune (adventurer) – 150 gp

Magical Items: 3
    Page 29 – Chainmail (Heavy Armor) +1 AC
    Page 32 – Shortsword +1 to attack and damage
    Page 36 – Zosiel’s diadem +1 MD (for the moment…)
  • I would love to see how you have sketched out the entire adventure path and particularly how you see Kyuss in the final battle. My gut feeling is that this probably needs this sort of strategic-level planning before you nut out the individual conversions as you might find that some of the AP actually turns out to be there simply to grind out required XP rather than making sense in the context of the story.

Anyway, this AP is often referred to as the one that killed 3.5E for many people but I think it will actually work very well in 13th Age.
  • Truth be told, I haven't even read the next installments yet. I'm definitely doing this one adventure at the time, since I don't have the time to read everything first, and then re-read it a few days before the actual session to refresh my memory.

How did this AP kill 3.5 for many people? I played through Shackeld City (using 3.5 rules) and Savage Tide (using DnD Rules Cyclopedia) and they were quite good.
  • I read a lot of comments about how it killed 3.5E because of, inter alia, the utter uselessness of the rogue during most of the adventure path and the raw power of the spellcasters meant that Kyuss seemed to last barely a round.

Honestly, I would give some thought to how the adventures fit together and even which ones are genuinely necessary rather than doing a straight conversion. But it's your game, of course; I'm just aware that the need to grind out XP for gain levels in 3.5E means that there are a lot of encounters that essentially exist for the sake of XP more so than story.
  • Posted By: Scrivener of DoomI read a lot of comments about how it killed 3.5E because of, inter alia, the utter uselessness of the rogue during most of the adventure path and the raw power of the spellcasters meant that Kyuss seemed to last barely a round.
    I suppose these kind of issues do not really apply to 13A... hoping for the best!
  • I love the owlbear, wish there were more monsters like this!
  • I'd be interested to see how this conversion goes. I've started reading this campaign and it seems interesting. I wouldn't mind running it. But I wouldn't quite know where to start with converting pathfinder/D&D 3.5 adventures to 13th age.
  • Posted By: DanJI'd be interested to see how this conversion goes. I've started reading this campaign and it seems interesting. I wouldn't mind running it. But I wouldn't quite know where to start with converting pathfinder/D&D 3.5 adventures to 13th age.
    Hopefully the campaign will start in February, I'll keep a blog of it. I've completely converted the first adventure, but before I do the others I want to play this one first, adn see if my way of doing things is ok.

I'm also planning on organizing these conversion notes a bit more, and put them online as PDF files for everyone's use.
  • Posted By: delazarPosted By: DanJI'd be interested to see how this conversion goes. I've started reading this campaign and it seems interesting. I wouldn't mind running it. But I wouldn't quite know where to start with converting pathfinder/D&D 3.5 adventures to 13th age.

Hopefully the campaign will start in February, I'll keep a blog of it. I've completely converted the first adventure, but before I do the others I want to play this one first, adn see if my way of doing things is ok.

I'm also planning on organizing these conversion notes a bit more, and put them online as PDF files for everyone's use.

Thanks. I look forward to reading about it :)
  • http://13thageofworms.blogspot.be/

First session played, I think players were happy. 1 DM + 3 PCs + 1 DMPC, we had some fun in town, then explored the first few rooms of the scenario.

Only had one fight against a pack of wolves, lots of 20s rolled both sides. The Rogue (who had a very bad experience iwth the Rules Cyclopedia Thief in a previous campaign) is already in love with his character, he scored a triple crit ("shadow walk" talent, then rolled a 20).

At the moment, I have the feeling that the Ranger is a bit lacking combat-wise, but the animal companion is helping a bit.
  • THE THREE FACES OF EVIL
    4 PCs of Level 2

PART ONE: WHAT WRITHES WITHIN

1. The Dark Cathedral

Tiefling Guard (4) HP 40
    2nd level troop (humanoid)
    Dangerous: If not staggered, Crit on a 17+
    AC 16, PD 15, MD 13
    Curse of Chaos (1/battle): if enemy rolls a natural 1 to 5, counts as a 1, and add a minor curse.

PART TWO: CITADEL OF HEXTOR

2. Chamber of the Guardians

Decrepit Skeleton (10) HP 7 (mook)
    1st level mook (undead)
    Resist weapon 16+
    Mace +6 vs AC – 3 damage
    AC 16, PD 14, MD 10

Skeleton Warrior (2) HP 26
    2nd level troop (undead)
    Resist weapon: 16+
    Mace +8 vs AC – 6 damage
    AC 16, PD 14, MD 11

3. Chamber of the Faithful

Cult Fanatic (20) HP 9 (mook)
    2nd level mook (humanoid)
    Spear +7 vs AC – 5 damage
    AC 18, PD 16, MD 12

4. Guard Chamber

Tiefling Guard (4) HP 40
    AC 16, PD 15, MD 13
    Curse of Chaos (1/battle): if enemy rolls a natural 1 to 5, counts as a 1, and add a minor curse.

5. Chamber of the Beast

Dire Boar (1) HP 130
    Large 4th level troop (beast)
    Gore +8 vs AC – 24 damage
    Natural even hit: target impaled, +2d6 damage.
    Fury: while staggered, gains +2 attack bonus and deals +4 damage, but at the end of each of its turns it takes 2d6 damage.
    AC 19, PD 19, MD 14

6. Inner Guard Chamber

Tiefling Guard (4) HP 40
    AC 16, PD 15, MD 13

8. Priest’s Chambers

Garras & Kendra (2) HP 72
    Double-strength 2nd level troop (humanoid)
    Initiative: +4 ((Kendra: roll 2d20, pick best)
    Flail +7 vs AC – 14 damage
    AC 18, PD 12, MD 16
    (Garras) Lethal (1/battle): re-roll a melee attack, pick best.
    Strength domain (1/battle): on a hit, +5 damage.
    Shield of faith (1/battle, quick action): +2 AC for the rest of the battle.

9. Chapel of Hextor

Troglodyte Zombies (2) HP 60
    2nd level troop (undead)
    Rotting claw +7 vs AC – 6 damage
    Natural 16+: Both the zombie and its target take 1d6 damage!
    Headshot: A critical hit against a zombie drops it to 0 hp.
    AC 15, PD 13, MD 9

Inflict Wounds Trap
    Skill Check 20, +10 vs MD, 3d6 damage

10. Theldrick’s Chamber (a)

Theldrick (1) HP 135
    Triple-strength 3rd level troop (humanoid)
    Initiative: +5 (roll 2d20, pick best)
    Flail +8 vs AC (2 attacks) – 15 damage each
    Javeling of Faith +8 vs MD (ranged, 3 targets) – 10 damage each
    Cause Fear (1/battle) ranged +8 vs MD – one nearby enemy with 75 hp or less is weakened, and tries to escape (see page 99 of the rulebook)
    AC 19, PD 13, MD 17
  • Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to hearing about how the game progresses :)
  • tonight we have the second session!
  • I would rephrase Quickness as "Take an additional standard action when the Escalation Dice is odd".

Also, recommend that you change the once per battle to trigger on a dice roll, say 16+.
  • Posted By: Extrakun
    I would rephrase Quickness as "Take an additional standard action when the Escalation Dice is odd".
    you think one standard action every round is too much?
    Also, recommend that you change the once per battle to trigger on a dice roll, say 16+.
    mh... wouldn't that link the power/spell to an attack roll? For example cause fear, I don't really see it as triggering off a melee/ranged attack.. or maybe yes...
  • edited February 2014
    PART THREE: THE CAVES OF ERYTHNUL (9 battles)

12. Stone Forest

Grimlock (4) HP 32
    2nd level wrecker (humanoid)
    Vulnerability: thunder
    Morning Star +7 vs AC – 7 damage
    R: Javelin +6 vs AC – 5 damage
    AC 17, PD 16, MD 12
    Blindsight: suffer no penalty to attack in total darkness, immune to gaze attacks.

13. The Ledge

Grimlock Kennel Master (1) HP 56
    4th level leader (humanoid)
    Battleaxe +9 vs AC – 14 damage
    Natural even hit or miss: The target is marked for death; until the end of the battle, all krenshar attacks against the target gain an attack bonus equal to the escalation die.
    AC 20, PD 17, MD 14
    Blindsight: suffer no penalty to attack in total darkness, immune to gaze attacks.

Krenshar (2) HP 45
    2nd level troop
    Bite +7 vs AC – 6 damage
    Natural even hit: The target takes +1d6 damage from a claw swipe
    AC 17, PD 16, MD 12
    Fear: While engaged with this creature, enemies with 12 hp or fewer are dazed (–4 attack) and do not add the escalation die to their attacks.
    14. Descent into the Dark

Grimlock Archers (2) HP 54
    4th level archer (humanoid)
    Club +9 vs AC – 12 damage
    R: Longbow +9 vs AC (2 attacks) – 7 damage
    Natural 16+: tanglefoot arrow, target is Stuck (save 11+ ends).
    AC 20, PD 18, MD 14

15. The Tunnel

Grimlock Barbarian (1) HP 135
    Triple Strength 3rd level wrecker (humanoid)
    Daggers +8 vs AC (2 attacks) – 15 damage
    Dual hit: if both daggers hit during the same turn, the grimlock barbarian can make a rending daggers attack during his next turn as a standard action.
    (Special trigger) Rending daggers +10 vs AC – 30 damage
    Miss: 15 damage.
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13

16. Choker Tunnels

Choker (2) HP 54
    4th level troop
    Tentacles +9 vs AC (2 attacks) – 7 damage
    Natural even hit: target is grabbed, and suffer 5 ongoing damage (Save 16+ ends both)
    AC 20, PD 18, MD 14

17. The Bridge

Grimlock (4) HP 32
    2nd level wrecker (humanoid)
    Morning Star +7 vs AC – 7 damage
    R: Javelin +6 vs AC – 5 damage
    AC 17, PD 16, MD 12

18. Cliff Chamber + 19. Common Chamber

Grimlocks (20) 9 HP (mook)
    AC 18, PD 16, MD 12

20. Chieftain’s Lodge

Grimlock Chieftain (1) HP 135
    Triple Strength 3rd level wrecker (humanoid)
    Greataxe +8 vs AC – 30 damage
    Natural even miss: 15 damage
    AC 19, PD 17, MD 13

21. Temple to Erythnul (b)

Grallak Kur (1) HP 40
    4th level caster (humanoid)
    Morningstar +7 vs AC – 7 damage
    Natural 16+: Grallak can cast one of the following close-quarters spells as a quick action this turn.
    Cloaking dark: All nearby grimlocks gain a +1 bonus to attacks and defenses until the end of Grallak’s next turn (cumulative).
    Necrotic wave: Two random nearby non-grimlock creatures take 2d8 necrotic damage.
    R: Mind scream +9 vs MD – 12 psychic damage, and the target is confused (make a basic or at-will attack vs ally) until the end of Grallak’s next turn.
    Natural 16+: Grallak can make another mind scream attack against a different nearby target as a free action.
    AC 18, PD 15, MD 18

Grimlocks (10) 9 HP (mook)
    AC 18, PD 16, MD 12
  • I'm starting to think I'll have to remove a few fights.

My idea would be to have each adventure equal to one level, which should be more or less 16 battles.

If I follow the module as written, the second adventure has 25 battles... I'll probably remove those encounters that are more repetitive.
  • PART FOUR: LABYRINTH OF VECNA (6 battles)

22. The Labyrinth

Group 1 + 2
    Labyrinth Denizens (4) HP 36
    M: Club +7 vs AC – 7 damage
    R: Crossbow +7 vs AC – 7 damage
    AC 18, PD 16, MD 12
    Great Ally: +2 to hit and damage vs a target engaged by an ally.
    Mimicry: A kenku can perfectly mimic familiar sounds, voices, and accents.

Group 3
    Kenku Boss (1) HP 42
    3rd level leader (humanoid)
    Club +9 vs AC – 8 damage
    Natural even hit or miss: Each of the kenku boss’ nearby humanoid allies gains a +2 bonus to melee attacks until the start of the boss’ next turn.
    Natural odd miss: 4 damage.
    R: Sneaky heavy crossbow +7 vs. AC (one nearby or far away enemy)—14 damage
    Natural even hit: The target takes 1d6 extra damage.

Limited use: 1/battle.
    [Special trigger] C: Rebuke to fools +9 vs. MD (one nearby enemy)—2d6 psychic damage
    Limited use: 1/round as an interrupt action, when a nearby enemy rolls a natural 1–5 with an attack against it.
    AC 19, PD 14, MD 17
    Combat reload: During the kenku boss’ turn, if it doesn’t engage an enemy or move, it regains a use of sneaky heavy crossbow if it’s expended as it reloads the crossbow.
    Fighting withdrawal: When the kenku boss successfully disengages, one of the enemies engaged with it takes 1d6 damage.

Kenku Lieutenant (1) HP 34
    2nd level caster (humanoid)
    Club +6 vs AC – 5 damage
    R: Raven curse +6 vs PD – 8 damage, and until the end of the lieutenant’s next turn, the target takes 2 additional damage whenever a kenku hits or misses him.
    AC 17, PD 12, MD 16

Labyrinth Denizens (2) HP 36
    M: Club +7 vs AC – 7 damage
    R: Crossbow +7 vs AC – 7 damage
    AC 18, PD 16, MD 12

Group 4
    Dire Weasel (2) HP 72
    Double-strength 2nd level troop (beast)
    M: Bite + 7 vs AC – 14 damage
    Natural 16+: The dire weasel latches onto the target, inflicting 7 damage every round (no attack roll required, but cannot use bite). The target is hampered (only basic attacks possible). Save 16+ ends.
    AC 18, PD 16, MD 12
    Carnage: The dire weasel attacks that miss deal 2 damage. When staggered, its missed attack deal 4 damage.

26. The Inner Sanctum

Acolyte of Vecna (2) HP 36
    Inititive: +9
    Twin daggers +7 vs AC (2 attacks) – 3 damage
    Natural 16+: The acolyte can pop free from target.
    R: Hypnotic pattern +7 vs MD (one nearby or far away enemy) – 7 psychic damage, and the target is confused (save ends).
    C: Dominate +7 vs MD (2 nearby enemies engaged with the same creature or with each other) – one target makes an at-will melee attack against this power’s other target.
    Limited use: 1/day, as a quick action.
    AC 18, PD 12, MD 16

Allip (1) HP 48
    4th level spoiler (undead)
    Vulnerabilty: holy
    Cold touch +9 vs AC – 10 cold damage
    Natural even hit or miss: Unless the allip is staggered, the attack also deals 8 ongoing negative energy damage.
    AC 21, PD 17, MD 13

27. Laboratory of the Faceless One (c)

The Faceless One (1) HP 54
    5th level caster (humanoid)
    Initiative: +10
    R: Scorching rays +12 vs PD (1d3 nearby enemies or one far away enemy) – 10 fire damage
    Natural even hit: 5 ongoing fire damage (save 16+ ends)
    C: Smoldering flames +11 vs PD (one nearby enemy) – 14 fire damage, and each time the target fails a save this battle, it burst into flames and takes 5 ongoing fire damage.
    AC 20, PD 12, MD 20

Acolyte of Vecna (2) HP 36
    Inititive: +9
    Twin daggers +7 vs AC (2 attacks) – 3 damage
    Natural 16+: The acolyte can pop free from target.
    R: Hypnotic pattern +7 vs MD (one nearby or far away enemy) – 7 psychic damage, and the target is confused (save ends).
    C: Dominate +7 vs MD (2 nearby enemies engaged with the same creature or with each other) – one target makes an at-will melee attack against this power’s other target.
    Limited use: 1/day, as a quick action.
    AC 18, PD 12, MD 16
  • PART FIVE: THE GOD IN THE POOL (1 battle)

Ebon Aspect (1) HP 135
    Triple-strength 3rd level wrecker
    Resist: Fire & Acid 16+
    Bite and claws +8 vs AC (3 attacks) – 10 damage
    Bloodthirst of Erythnul: If the escalation die is 4+, the Ebon Aspect has +2 to hit and damage.
    Standard of Hextor: If the Ebon Aspect is missed by a melee attack, one of his foes suffers 5 damage.
    Blessing of Vecna: If the Ebon Aspect is missed by a spell attack, he heals 5 hit points.
    AC 19, PD 16, MD 16

a) Treasure
    300 GP cash
    Healing Potion x2
    Resistance Potion (fire) x1
    Oil x1
    1 magical item

b) Treasure
    300 GP cash
    Healing Potion x2
    Resistance Potion (cold) x1
    Oil x1