Official "I found a Mistake" Errata Thread for 13th Age

Comments

• The attack roll is what's listed, Attack: Intelligence + Level vs MD. The non-critting ally's roll is what fulfills the conditions necessary to deploy that interrupt action.
  • Huge Gold Dragon in 13 True Ways is listed as a large creature, when it should, obviously be Huge.
  • If you will allow the repetition, may I resurrect Guurzak's unanswered question from December about recharge rules?

Is that a deliberate inconsistency, or just a failure to completely propagate the final version of the recharge rule through the text?

Guurzak asked about magic items, but I also want to know about Barbarian Rage, which I believe is the first recharge power in the book (p80), and perhaps the most important.
  • edited August 2014
    I'm no authority on the subject but the rulebook (pg. 171) says the following :

"Roll to recharge powers: For each recharge power that you used in the last battle, roll a d20 to see if you keep the power for your next battle or lose it until after your next battle. You have to roll the power’s recharge value or higher to use it again."

And then, on the same page, the authors comment :

"Jonathan and I disagree about how often you should roll to recharge powers. Jonathan says you should only get one recharge chance immediately after the battle in which you used the power. Mathematically he’s right, and you shouldn’t let players abuse the system; they should only get one recharge roll after each real battle. But I think it’s more fun to let
    players use recharge powers, and then let them make recharge rolls for all used powers during a quick rest.

Jonathan disagrees with me. I quote his email on the topic: Rob loves liberty and spontaneity. That’s what your version offers. Jonathan loves limits and denial. This seems to be a picky little rule that symbolizes our opposite spirits. Hard for us to agree.

I now agree with Jonathan enough that I give PCs extra attempts to recharge powers after fights only when they’ve acquitted themselves extremely well and deserve a cookie.

I now agree with Rob enough that I wrote the glossary entry for recharge and used Rob’s rule."

In the said glossary (pg. 313), it is written :

"recharge: After each battle, when you get a quick rest, you can roll for each of your used, rechargeable powers, including
    those used in a previous battle, to see if they recharge. They all recharge when you get a full heal-up."

My interpretation is that it is meant for each group to decide how they want to go about it. Personally, I intend to go with the glossary version, including for the Barbarian Rage and magic items. No RPG police is going to stop me... ;)

Btw, what's up with the buggy forum. It's pretty terrible...
  • The monster list in the core book is missing the 4th level Huge Zombie.
  • 8th lvl Half-orc Commander, 8th lvl Trog Underling, and 9th lvl Giant Zombie are also missing from pg. 205 monster list.
  • All of those creatures are missing from the list in the Bestiary as well.
  • This was fixed in the print 13 True Ways, but appears to remain in the PDF: Druid's shield bonus on the armor/shield chart shows as +0 rather than +1.
  • 13 True Ways, page 86: The Putrid Zombie is missing [Undead] after 3rd level mook. All other necromancer summons have it.
  • edited October 2014
    Do we have an un/official pdf compilation of the known errata?
  • /bump for info
  • edited November 2014
    I've started to compile the errata while we wait for an official list. I thought I might share: Unofficial Errata & Clarifications

I will be glad to update the file if I forgot anything or added errors of my own.
  • This is very hand, thank you for sharing

I'm going to hold off on buying any hardbacks until the errata is updated

Whilst it's not significant in size, some of it is quite significant in importance
  • I've updated the errata file linked above with some new items. I think it now covers most, if not all, that has been found so far for the three core books and SRD.
  • Found an Official Rules Clarification on Burning Hands miss damage:
    from 13th age Google community:

Cal Moore wrote 5:54 PM (1/08/2015)

Okay, I got Rob's reply and we're in agreement. It's damage equal to the die roll (so 6 or 8) not 1 per die. So if you miss with both attacks and make a 3d8 roll with two 8s coming up. You deal 16 miss damage to each target. If you hit with one and miss with one, the missed target takes 16 damage and the other target takes whatever you rolled. The text probably should have used "the total of each damage die" to avoid this confusion. Hope that helps.
  • I've added the Burning Hands clarification to the list linked above.
  • edited March 2015
    I think a Bard / Ranger with Mythkenner would read "substitute all bard class references to Cha/Dex with Wisdom."  Which would let you use your Dex-based bardic melee attacks and your Charisma-based bardic spells on Wisdom, making it a loopholed single-stat multiclass character (since you could simply use Animal Companion for your Ranger talents and never need to make a "Ranger attack.")

Loophole reported!
  • Snarvid said:

I think a Bard / Ranger with Mythkenner would read "substitute all bard class references to Cha/Dex with Wisdom."  Which would let you use your Dex-based bardic melee attacks and your Charisma-based bardic spells on Wisdom, making it a loopholed single-stat multiclass character (since you could simply use Animal Companion for your Ranger talents and never need to make a "Ranger attack.")

Loophole reported!

As I said in the other thread, both Mythkenner and Loremaster specifically apply their respective stat swap to Bardic skills and magic only.  Moreover, they only let you swap Charisma out for Wisdom/Intelligence, so you couldn't swap replace Dexterity on your melee attacks anyway.   No loophole.
  • Hmmm.  Agree on the Mythkenner only for magic and skills.

Not sure on the Key Stat issue.  I was reading the Bard/Druid Loremaster example on p 106 as saying that Loremaster would replace your old MC key stat (Wis/Cha, in that case) with Intelligence wherever either of those would occur for bard.  So if you were a Bard / Ranger and your key stat was Cha/Dex, wherever the bard said either dex (from ranger) or charisma (from bard) it would be replaced with Wisdom via Mythkenner, and bards can attack on Dex.  Except this does not work due to Mythkenner explicitly only working on magic and skills.  I will keep looking to see if stat-swapping talents create loopholes elsewhere.
  • Ah, maybe true with the right multiclass.  Forgot about the way that can screw around with key stats.
  • At the table playing my cleric, we had 6 people and four different opinions on how Invocation of Trickery works, suggesting it needs clarification/errata.  I'm going to be bound by whatever my ST decides, but I figured I'd ask.

From the SRD: Invocation of Trickery/Illusion: This battle, attacks against you by enemies that moved to engage you during their turn miss on natural odd rolls.

1. Okay, so is that all naturally odd attacks against you by enemies that moved to engage you during their turn after that point, or just those attacks made during that specific turn?
    2. Does that include enemies that moved to engage you prior to your invocation?  
    3. Is an enemy that you move to intercept when it was going after someone else one that moved to engage you, or only one that intended to move to you?
    4. If it is one that moved to engage you, and it's intercepted, does that still count as moving to engage you?
    5. If they move to engage you once, but no longer are engaged with you, does this effect continue, or is it only those that remain engaged with you?

I'm going to be bound by whatever my ST says, but I'm curious as to the intended effect.
  • The phrasing's clear to me.  You look at each enemy each turn after the invocation is in effect.  If they moved to engage that turn, they miss half the time.  If not, the invocation does nothing to them.  Unless you or the enemies you're fighting keep disengaging and re-engaging or popping free from one another, the invocation won't trigger multiple times against any given foe.

If they get intercepted, they didn't move to engage you, and they probably can't attack you anyway.

• "During their turn" seemed to only pertain to the enemy moving and engaging, whereas the subject is the attacks, plural, which is modified by the "this battle."  Also the "to" in  "moved to engage you"  seemed to imply that intention to move to you was relevant, so intercepting it wouldn't work. 

It's a battle long effect where you have the following sequence: turn begins, movement of an enemy, it engages you, then attacks you, check if the condition applies, then turn ends.  Seems like the sentence could be in that order too.  

The following phrasing seems like it is clearer to me about the intention, and looks like it would fit in the space:

"This battle, if an enemy moved and engaged you on its turn, its naturally odd attack rolls against you miss until its turn ends." 

Though honestly, I think every invocation is supposed to last for a battle, right?  You might, when talking about invocations, just explicitly say that they last until the next short rest, instead of putting "this battle" in most of them.  Actually, Invocation of knowledge, interpreted liberally, could let you save up rerolls, which is kinda silly.
  • Has an official errata been released yet?
  • In Eyes of the Stone Thief, Sister Selra (p. 117) has the same defenses and hit points as the monster above her.  Since the monster above her is a Large 7th Level Wrecker and she's a normal 7th level caster, I suspect it's an error.
  • Has an official errata been released yet and has the latest printing been updated with the latest errata?
  • P 107 13 True Ways PDF.

Cleric / Necromancer has int/wis as key stat. Necromancer / Cleric has int/cha. Should be same.
  • edited August 2015
    I've updated my Unofficial Errata & Clarifications file to include Snarvid's latest find and three other similar discrepancies.
  • edited September 2015
    Skeletal Minion's damage gets worse when it goes from level 9 (4d8, av 18, max 32) to level 10 (5d6, av 17.5, max 30). This trend continues when you fully upgrade the minion's damage with the 3 damage boosting feats, going from 6d10 (av 33, max 60) at level 9 to 7d8 (av 31.5, max 56) at level 10.

I suggest base damage 6d6 at 10. This is moderately better than level 9 both at base (av 21, max 36) and feated out to 8d8 (average 36, max 64) and is in line with the damage increase gained between levels 8 and 9.
  • Updated file.  Follow link above.