Official "I found a Mistake" Errata Thread for 13th Age

Comments

• I'd be tempted to just stop the sentence after the word again.
    P. 166. "If you want to rally again later in the same battle, make a normal save (11+). If you succeed, you can rally again that battle. If you fail the save, you can take your turn normally (without burning the action you would have used to recover), but you can’t rally that round."
  • Posted By: demossP. 80: Building Frenzy is unclear. "Deal +1d4 additional damage each time one of your attacks misses, up to a maximum of +4d4 damage." Does the bonus apply to hits only, misses only, or both?
    Building Frenzy
    One battle per day, as a free action after you have missed an attack, gain +1d4 damage to each successful melee attack until the end of the battle. For each missed attack following this, add another +1d4 damage, up to a maximum of +4d4 damage.
    check bold part, this makes very clear that the bonus damage is only for hits and not for a miss.
  • There is no level 9 version of The Overworld Two-Step.
  • Does the Spelljack bard talent advance the spell with your level or is it fixed at level 1 when you take the talent?

"Jack of Spells
    Choose another spell-casting character class. You can choose one spell from the spell list (but not the talent list) of that class, of your own level or lower, as an extra spell you know how to cast. You can even take its feats up to your tier, if it has any. You may only choose from the spell list—not from talents.
    This spell is a bonus spell, not included in your bard class count. "
  • It's of the highest level you can cast, basically. But you're tied into it. Basically, you don't have access to their LIST, just ONE SPELL.
  • Posted By: harenThere is no level 9 version of The Overworld Two-Step.
    For those who aren't members of the Google+ community, Jonathan Tweet explained in this thread:
    Most spells look on paper like they're getting better, but really they're just "keeping up." If a 9th level version of a spell deals more damage than a 7th level version, the increase merely keeps the spell the same relative to the battles you're likely to have. The spell doesn't become more or less useful in combat. Likewise, weapon attacks go up in damage in order to "stay the same." Spells like Overworld Two Step remain just as useful as ever even if the written effect doesn't change.
  • p. 200: BURROW. "Burrowing is another type of special movement rule that could have gone into the combat chapter."

The referent is missing: there is no other special movement type described anywhere in the vicinity (or elsewhere, that I can see.) I'm guessing it's a reference to a missing entry on flying or swimming?

p. 205: GIANT SCORPION: "Limited use: 2/round, each requiring a quick action."

...that doesn't sound very limited to me... At first I thought it must be a typo and should have been 2/battle or something, but looking at other "Limited Use" entries makes me think "Limited Use" *really* means "Non-standard Use", which is a tad confusing. (Ok, so not really an errata.)
  • Posted By: demossp. 200: BURROW. "Burrowing is another type of special movement rule that could have gone into the combat chapter."

The referent is missing: there is no other special movement type described anywhere in the vicinity (or elsewhere, that I can see.) I'm guessing it's a reference to a missing entry on flying or swimming?

p. 205: GIANT SCORPION: "Limited use: 2/round, each requiring a quick action."

...that doesn't sound very limited to me... At first I thought it must be a typo and should have been 2/battle or something, but looking at other "Limited Use" entries makes me think "Limited Use" *really* means "Non-standard Use", which is a tad confusing. (Ok, so not really an errata.)
    I'd say the limited action term is appropriate because you can take 3 quick actions per round (converting your standard and move actions into quick actions), plus the fact that monsters lack the term "basic attack" means that all melee attacks that aren't explicitly stated to be limited or to require any specific action cost can be used for opportunity attacks (under the assumption that all non-limited monster attacks are their basic attacks, unless an argument can be made where the monster template's to-hit and damage are, in fact, the basic attacks for *all* monsters).

Maybe p. 200 refers to teleport? The way I see flying and swimming, they're regular movement in a 3D environment, and any and all advantages aquatic/flying creatures have are more on the "common sense" level of things than the game rules level (e.g. "dude, that vrylok is flying nearby, how do you expect to engage with it?" and "you're trying to slash at the kuo-toa with your greatsword while you're fighting underwater? I hope you're strong enough 'cause that's a lot of water to cut through to hit your target.").
  • Posted By: chaosfangthe fact that monsters lack the term "basic attack" means that all melee attacks that aren't explicitly stated to be limited or to require any specific action cost can be used for opportunity attacks
    Ah! Thank you. I guess the real errata here is that "Limited use" isn't defined anywhere. Your take ("not a basic attack") makes perfect sense to me.
  • Index & Glossary:
    (p. 309) Archmage 314, 314 — should read Archmage 14, 314

Relationship Points:
    (p. 35, 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence) “The Icons Relationship Master Chart above
    Actually the chart is on the next page. So above should be replaced by (see next page), (see page 36) or below.
  • edited January 2014
    Magic Items
    Archmage SRDHaughty
    (Any weapon)
    When you hit with an attack using this weapon, if that enemy is the most dangerous foe in the battle (or tied for most dangerous, GM’s assessment), you deal +1d4 per tier damage to it (champion: +1d8 per tier; epic: +1d10 per tier). Quirk: Challenges others to improvised contests.
    A clarification of what "per tier damage" means.

Does it mean Adventurer: +1d4 damage, Champion: +2d8 damage and Epic: +3d10 damage?
  • The weapon has its own tier. So a +1 weapon is adventurer tier = +1d4, +2 champion = +1D8 and +3 epic = +1d10.
    A champion tier character would wield an adventurer tier weapon with +2d4 damage.
    An adventurer tier character fighting with an epic weapon would cause +1d10 damage.
    A champion with an epic sword would deal +2d10 damage, and so on …

Basically you take the weapon’s tier die and multiply it with your character’s tier.
  • Small typo: "Breath of the Blue" says it is a "breath spell", but I believe the correct term is "breath weapon". Not a big deal, though. :)
  • Skeleton Hound

Attack vs defensetype (AC/MD/PD) missing.
    I think this should be AC...
  • P. 253 has a list of adjustments to monster stats that Jonathan has experimented with. Included in this list is "Oaf - Tough and clumsy: -3 to attack, +3 to AC." However, immediately following this list is a list of "bad combinations Jonathan won't use." This second list includes "Bonus to AC; penalty to attack."
  • Oaf means the creature has -3 to it’s attack roll and AC.
    The bad combination is more like the player gets -3 to attack and the monster +3 AC as this would equal a +6 AC.
  • In the same vein as the above,

pg. 252: The stat adjustments for Defensive and Brittle are exactly the same:
    +3 to AC, and 70% of normal HP.
  • I'm looking at the Elder Wendigo Huge 9th level Spoiler in the the Hatchling Editon of the Bestiary and the Horrific Gaze attack is listed as doing 120 damage (and the target is confused) with 60 miss damage. Is that a typo? I'm asking because that's damage I would expect from a wrecker.
  • edited March 2014
    Posted By: Omni Desol pg. 252: The stat adjustments for Defensive and Brittle are exactly the same: +3 to AC, and 70% of normal HP.
    I have been using +2 to all defenses 70% hp as defensive. sometimes I want the sorcerer to miss.
  • In the setting chapter on Starport it says "details available on site". I can't tell if this is author frivolity or an orphaned reference to non-existent web content; I assume it's the former but I thought it worth mentioning.
  • Posted By: thekelvingreenIn the setting chapter on Starport it says "details available on site". I can't tell if this is author frivolity or an orphaned reference to non-existent web content; I assume it's the former but I thought it worth mentioning.
    Essentially, it's been clarified in the Google+ community page that it means "when you visit the area" and not a specific website, but the confusion is very understandable, maybe a bit of rewording could've been used here.
  • Is this also a good place to point out errors in the Bestiary PDF?

If so, there are some layout errors I've noticed (like half of 236 and 237 being blank so that a bunch of the unified monster table is missing and the inconsistent superscript for 2nd, 3rd etc)
  • While not really a mistake, I just have a "judgement call" question. On page 168 under Two-Weapon Fighting... a player can only reroll a missed attack if they roll a natural 2. Doesn't this make two weapon fighting practically useless? While I agree that allowing a player to take two attacks per round is too much, wouldn't it be a bit more advantageous to allow a reroll on any missed attack if they rolled a natural even result? Or maybe an natural odd result excluding a 1, since a 1 is an automatic fail? Or maybe even a range like a natural 2 through 5? In this case, it should also be limited to only one reroll per round regardless of the number of attacks the character is otherwise allowed to make.

(I'm still new to the game, so please, be gentle...)
  • I noticed that the entry for the Ghast on page 98 of the 13th Age Bestiary omits the heretofore standard undead Vulnerability: holy. Was this omission intentional or accidental?
  • The Two-Weapon Fighting rule on page 168 is available to all, regardless of training. So easy, even a Wizard could do it! Those skilled in the art likely use the additional advantages of Ranger Talents: Double Melee Attack (pg. 119) and Two-Weapon Mastery (pg. 121) with their accompanying feats.
  • https://www.pelgranepress.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1644&page=1

Above is a discussion about smite evil. Is there any way to get an official rules clarification or errata on the matter?
  • Rangers can choose Dex or Str for their melee attacks, but they always add their Str bonus to melee damage, so that a Dex Ranger can hit but not do as much damage. Is that intentional, do we think?
  • Posted By: NiallismRangers can choose Dex or Str for their melee attacks, but they always add their Str bonus to melee damage, so that a Dex Ranger can hit but not do as much damage. Is that intentional, do we think?
    It's intentional, far as I can tell; compare with Rogues, who use Dex for damage with melee. Considering the benefits of Dex vs. Str and the inherent flexibility of Rangers as a class, if it was Str of Dex for melee damage there'd be virtually no reason to go Str Ranger.
  • In 13 True Ways, the River Devil Minion has no attack bonus listed with it's Tentacles and talons attack (I'm just going to assume it's +18 from the DYI tables).
  • 13 True Ways:

P. 98 "Better Yet, Here" has an epic feat that you use when the triggering attack is a crit, except that you can't use the power on a crit at all.

Same page: "Brilliant Comeback" has a Retain Focus of 1-15, so you keep your focus when you roll a 1-15 on... what, exactly? There's no attack roll for the power.