Official "I found a Mistake" Errata Thread for 13th Age

edited November 2013 in 13th Age
In this post I'll try and keep a running edit with a master list of Errata. Please report anything you find to this thread.

13th Age Core Rulebook

Classes:
(p.40) Should read: Each character gets 8 background points, though the bard, ranger, rogue, and sorcerer have talents that award bonus points.. Currently it lists wizard in that list, which is incorrect.

Sorcerer:
(p.140) Breath of the Black Dragon attack should be against PD not MD.

Wizard:
(p.153) Charm Person Attack should be Intelligence + Level vs MD instead of using Charisma as it's attack bonus.

Monsters:
(p.205) The monster list is missing (at the end) the entry for Huge Red Dragon, 13th level Wrecker on page 223.

From the Archmage SRD:

Races: Halfling

Small
Gnomes have a +2 AC bonus against opportunity attacks.
-- Should read "Halflings"

Comments

• In an earlier thread it was noted that the wizard's version of Charm Person should use Intelligence for its attack stat instead of Charisma.
  • Updated, thanks!
  • Oh, uhhh, I'm kinda in pain from having my wisdom teeth removed about 4 hours ago but... Natural Will (the Barbarian Champion Talent) has an Adventurer Feat for it, even though you can't get the talent till after you're a Champion.
  • edited November 2013
    I think adding page numbers to the corresponding errata would be very helpful here

Good catches by the way!
  • Posted By: WardenI think adding page numbers to the corresponding errata would be very helpful here
    Got it, good idea, added! :D
    Posted By: harenOh, uhhh, I'm kinda in pain from having my wisdom teeth removed about 4 hours ago but... Natural Will (the Barbarian Champion Talent) has an Adventurer Feat for it, even though you can't get the talent till after you're a Champion.
    I believe that is intentional. On page 76 it actually says ..."characters clearly need to revisit their feat choices occasionally... feats are attached to spells and powers you can swap in and out of.". So if you become 5th level and suddenly want Natural Will - you'd drop one of your old Adventurer Talents to slot into there instead.
  • On page 205, the Monster List should end with the 13th lvl huge red dragon entry.

Great editing job btw, that was the only thing I've noticed on my read-through and I'm usually quite good at catching errata.
  • Posted By: MetathiaxOn page 205, the Monster List should end with the 13th lvl huge red dragon entry.

Great editing job btw, that was the only thing I've noticed on my read-through and I'm usually quite good at catching errata.
    Got it. Good catch.
  • There are two definitions of the headshot disadvantage shared by zombies. One says a critical hit results in three times normal damage while the other results in an instant kill. I am inclined to roll with the former, but the latter might encourage adding extra zombies to encounters (in anticipation that one or two might be one-shotted).
  • Posted By: meadsloshThere are two definitions of theheadshotdisadvantage shared by zombies. One says a critical hit results in three times normal damage while the other results in an instant kill. I am inclined to roll with the former, but the latter might encourage adding extra zombies to encounters (in anticipation that one or two might be one-shotted).
    I believe the 3x damage version of 'headshot' appears on the mook incarnation of the zombie (don't have book in front of me), which makes sense. You don't want a critical hit on a mook to reduce its HP to 0, because that would instantly kill ALL the mooks. On a single creature, though, that seems reasonable. Hence the distinction.
  • Posted By: Arcesilaus
    Posted By: meadsloshThere are two definitions of theheadshotdisadvantage shared by zombies. One says a critical hit results in three times normal damage while the other results in an instant kill. I am inclined to roll with the former, but the latter might encourage adding extra zombies to encounters (in anticipation that one or two might be one-shotted).
    I believe the 3x damage version of 'headshot' appears on the mook incarnation of the zombie (don't have book in front of me), which makes sense. You don't want a critical hit on a mook to reduce its HP to 0, because that would instantly kill ALL the mooks. On a single creature, though, that seems reasonable. Hence the distinction.
    The way I see it, this is the very same reason why Turn Undead was the first power to be errata'd: as a 12+ or a natural 20 reduced the mook's HP to zero, that isn't a lot of HP to reduce anyway, and because it was mentioned that the intent of Turn Undead was to allow or even encourage mob destruction, they had to add a specific clause for mooks. So instead of seeing headshot as a universal feature that applies to all zombies mook or otherwise, it makes more sense that mooks take triple damage with a crit, while non-mooks may be auto-killed by a crit.
  • Page 173
    "This resistance = immunity rule only applies to energy types, not to creatures like skeletons that have resist weapons 12+. They’re not immune to non-magic weapons"

Yet on Page 246 the skeleton has Resist Weapon 16+

Is it 12+ or 16?
  • edited December 2013
    As discussed in this thread, the rules for recharges went through multiple revisions before settling on the rule stated in the glossary:

After each battle, when you get a quick rest, you can roll for each of your used, rechargeable powers, including those used in a previous battle, to see if they recharge. p313

However, the rule for recharging magic item powers is different; it reflects an older, stricter version of the rule.

If the roll fails, the item power is expended until you take a full heal-up. p286

Is that a deliberate inconsistency, or just a failure to completely propagate the final version of the recharge rule through the text?
  • Page 173
    "This resistance = immunity rule only applies to energy types, not to creatures like skeletons that have resist weapons 12+. They’re not immune to non-magic weapons"

Yet on Page 246 the skeleton has Resist Weapon 16+

The second part should probably be modified to read "You can’t jack spells that come from class features or talents." in order to make it clear that Heal is not jackable. "It's not a talent so I can jack it!"
  • Now we know where Halflings come from...

From the Archmage SRD:

Races: Halfling

Small
    Gnomes have a +2 AC bonus against opportunity attacks.
  • Question about Carve an Opening (Fighter Maneuver). Does the crit range expand cumulatively until you crit by using this maneuver once (+1 round 1, +2 round 2, etc.), or by a +1/+2 and stays at that modifier until you use Carve an Opening again or crit?
  • You have to use Carve an Opening to have the modifier increment. So each time you roll a natural odd roll and use Carve an Opening, the modifier will go up, until you crit.
  • P. 40 states that "...though the bard, ranger, rogue, and wizard have talents that award bonus points." Wizard class description doesn't include any such talent.
  • Posted By: demossP. 40 states that "...though the bard, ranger, rogue, and wizard have talents that award bonus points." Wizard class description doesn't include any such talent.
    But the Sorcerer's Arcane Heritage (Archmage) [p136] is a Talent that gives bonus Background points, so Wizard should be replaced with Sorcerer.
  • This is pretty trite, but: p. 87, Loremaster & Mythkenner C both state: "Add the point to a relationship you already have..."; p. 29 Character Creation Checklist says to pick Talents before picking relationship points.
  • demoss/savage: Added your corrections above.

demoss: I'm gonna say that was intentional, in case you changed talents at a level up.
  • Um, yeah. Obvious in retrospect.
  • Slayer says "when you attack a[n]... enemy you were not engaged with at the start of your turn". That language explicitly disallows disengaging and reengaging on the same turn in order to get this effect.

Boots of Ferocious Charge are more gray: "move to engage a foe first and then make a melee attack against it during the same turn." If the intention was to similarly prevent charge-in-a-circle shenanigans it should be updated to use similar language as Slayer.
  • Ritual magic:

P194 "Faster Rituals: The High Arcana talent of the wizard allows you to cast a ritual in a matter of rounds instead of minutes..."

P149 that contains the high arcana talent mentions no such trait.

P148 allows the wizard to cast rituals in 1d3 + 1 turns as a champion feat. It is not exclusive to High Arcana.
  • P. 107: Deadly Assault triggers on "Any natural even hit", Heavy Blows triggers on "Any natural even miss".

P. 167: "When you decide to make a flexible attack, you choose your target first, make your attack roll, and then use the natural unmodified die result to determine which of your eligible flexible attacks to use. You still use the modified roll to determine whether or not you hit, but your flexible attacks trigger off the natural result on the die sitting in front of you."

...which don't really jive. Obviously (?) you need to use the modified roll to choose which triggers; the natural roll is only used to decide if the result is even or not.
  • demoss, it also determines if it's 16+ or 11+ or whatever... only the hit and miss part aren't the natural result.
  • P. 80: Building Frenzy is unclear. "Deal +1d4 additional damage each time one of your attacks misses, up to a maximum of +4d4 damage." Does the bonus apply to hits only, misses only, or both?
  • edited January 2014
    @demoss: I agree that that's not as clear as it could be; when I first read it I naturally assume that the bonus was just for "hit" damage, and powers which boost miss damage usually say so, so I think the best reading is probably "with your melee hits" instead of "with your melee attacks"... but going by the literal text of the ability it would seem to apply to both hits and misses.
  • Haren, I agree. (Unless you mean that intention is that the /unmodified/ die roll has to beat AC -- which isn't how I'm reading those entries.) ...but odd/even is the only relevant natural result for those entries.
  • P. 166. "If you want to rally again later in the same battle, make a normal save (11+). If you succeed, you can rally again that battle. If you fail the save, you can take your turn normally (without burning the action you would have used to recover), but you can’t rally that round."

The text is unclear. If you succeed, you can rally again "that battle". If you fail, you can't rally "that round". I suspect both should say "that round", but there is no way to tell, really.