Tag lines in The Yes Wing

Hi. I am translating tag lines from The Yes Wing into another language for an upcomming skulduggery game session.

I am stuck with the one saying “Sure, that would be great...if it weren’t for Farlow v. Tackett.”

I do understand there is a joke here, but I cannot figure out who or what Farlow and Tackett refers to. If someone from the UK or the US could explain it to me, it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• This is a reference to a non-existing (as far as I can tell) U.S. Supreme Court case. The Rebuff, in the lawyerly style, is pointing out that the proposed Persuade would be illegal or unconstitutional in the US. 'Farlow v. Tackett' works as a Rebuff because it is a made-up court case, and therefore can apply to anything. The player with this Rebuff can keep using it repeatedly by simply changing the names!
    Does that help?
    Mel
  • It is absolutly perfect. A big thank to you :]
  • Or, equally amusingly, (or vastly more entertaining depending on your taste) he can keep using the same names over and over until he fails and is called out on it.
  • Posted By: jack of tearsOr, equally amusingly, (or vastly more entertaining depending on your taste) he can keep using the same names over and over until he fails and is called out on it.
    Oh, that's better!